Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:01:19 -0700
From:         zzIML-VANAGON <IML-VANAGON@I405.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lots of talk about Rust...
Comments: To: "JordanVw@AOL.COM" <JordanVw@AOL.COM>

Hi,

I own a 1963 Double Cab and a 1967 Westy... I just purchased the Westy and am going through it. I live in Seattle area, where we don't have the salt road problems but we have moisture... And even though this Westy was in California all life, I find rust where things were not taken care of. And the general neglect of paint is often a big cause.

Chris may say just drive it until it rots then find a new one... but that gets pretty difficult and expensive for me :) But I agree with some of what he says about not being afraid to use spray paint.

Some tips:

1. If paint is scratched or an area is banged and paint is damaged, PAINT IT! Don't leave exposed areas, even if just the primer is exposed. Cheap spray paint is better than no paint. 2. DO PROPER REPAIRS. You have to cut off rusty parts and paint the cut. Don't just clean it a little and bondo it... you have to get all the "black spot" off the metal... clean grey / silver metal before you paint. People just slapping bondo over rust to "hide it" are making it worse. 3. Avoid PAINTING OVER RUST. You have to get the rusty metal off. If the area is easy to access (like a rocker panel, rear corner, front nose, etc.): Find a friend with an air compressor and a front yard and sandblast it. $15 for a sand blaster at Wal-Mart and $5 for 100 pound back of sand at Home Depot. Park on the yard, the sand is good for the grass and nothing to clean up (except your van which will have sand in it, even if you are just blasting the outside). 4,. Especially in salty areas, WASH THE VW after you get off the road. Get that crap from the underbody off. Clean water generally does not cause problems.... salt water and other contaminates does. 5. Don't get new paint on your bus without taking care of rust. You are just killing it sooner. Heck, dents are better than rust. YOU MUST CUT OUT the rusty parts ... welding new metal is really the only proper repair ... bondo and other stuff is only good if it is a few mm thick. If you want your bust to be around in 15 years for someone else (or yourself) to enjoy, don't do the chicken wire and bondo things!!

Chris makes an excellent point about "not waiting until you do a proper repair" -- do something NOW. So what if your spray paint color doesn't match... rust doesn't match your bus either!

I have some photos I took up at http://www.i405.com/vw/67Westy/NoseBlast/ to show that I practice what I say :)