Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:11:04 PDT
From:         vwvanman@EXCITE.COM
Subject:      5 speed tranny
Comments: To: John Hurley <hurley@ACX.COM>
Comments: cc: vanagon@vanagon.com

>I am predicting the failure of my 4 speed in my 85 westy, >and would like to be prepared. First does anyone know if >the 5 speed will allow me to "cruise" (70-75 @ 4000RPM) at >a slightly faster speed than my 4 for the same RPM?

No, the stock five speed just adds a gear between the four speeds third and fourth. The RPMs will be the same for fourth gear/fifth gear.

If you plan to cruise at 70 75 change the fifth gear to either a .77 (@70 RPMs are @3500 or a .70 (@70 RPMs @3100) I would go to the .70 if the engine is strong or replaced. It will add @$150 to $230 to the cost.

>If so does anyone know if it's a direct swap, and where I >could find one.

It is a direct bolt up with the only modification being shortening the front mount @1.5". The shifting is similar to the syncro's shifting pattern. The stock shifter can be used simply push dwon and instead of reverse pull back into first.

Weddle Engineering sells them. They can also get new 456 R&P rather than 483 R&P. It cost a little more.

The new trannys have a four spider diff, If getting a 483 get a 4 spider diff added. It will distribute the load in the diff better and lasting longer.

I do not have their number with me now, email me at:

wolfvan88@aol.com if you want their number.

Robert

________________________________________________________________ Get FREE voicemail, fax and email at http://voicemail.excite.com Talk online at http://voicechat.excite.com