Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:32:59 -0700
From:         Steve@SCHWENK-LAW.COM
Subject:      Re: Friday Vanagon Verse!

Brad, you provide an excellent description of the syncro in snow, and the absolute joy one feels when driving one in total blizzard conditions on mountain passes. Confidence instead of terror...why, because the vehicle is stable and predictable with excellent traction and a good powerband for the snow. I find it safer to travel faster than the incumbered vehicles of lesser stature...including most of those SUVs on steroids. Better to get away from them before they take you out. this can be done safely, and is safer than following a long line of slower...less stable vehicles. 50 mph uphill with good visibility and plenty of room is no sweat! steve

p.s. the one trip i took in snowy conditions with my drive shaft out i had to chain up twice...once on a dirt road going up a steep pass (about 6 attempts to make it) and once over a paved pass.

Brad Anderson wrote: > > <<<...>>> >My note to the list was intended to extoll the virtues of the syncro >system > and to share the excitement I feel by surprising others with the abilities > of the 'moving guardrail'. The syncro vanagon has such perfect weight > distribution and grip, without chains, that you can maintain 50mph in fresh > snow easily and in great control. If you haven't experienced this, again I > encourage you to do so, at your own speed. > I don't drive recklessly, though again you may disagree. When provisional > speed limits are in place due to conditions, I obey them, of course. When > they are not, I drive as I see fit, which is probably different than what > you see fit. Incidentally, I always carry chains; though, in the 5 years I > have owned my van I have never used them. > Regards and apologies to those I've offended; I'll shut up now. > > Brad > '87 Vanagon Syncro >