Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:34:18 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: RUST HOLE
Comments: To: Doug Alcock <dgalcock@HEWITT.COM>

It's time for my 2 cents. This has been one of the favorite methods of preserving the impossible-to-reach spots in old pickup cabs for a long time. I sort of fell into it by accident. I throw a rag or two, usually oily, in the bottom of the cab corners and have no rust damage on a 46 year old truck. I have never used oil on the outside of the truck, but it has the prehistoric road draft tube for crankcase ventilation. This spreads a fine layer of motor oil over the entire bottom side of the truck and has preserved it well. I'm not sure if you could really do this on a periodic basis. On the old iron, the oil coating is renewed every time you drive :)

Mike Snow 1982 Westy Diesel 1953 Chevrolet truck (well oiled)