Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:55:14 -0400
From:         "Michael Y. Feng" <mf29@CORNELL.EDU>
Subject:      Re: front blower motor

I agree it's a big job. It took me the better part of a morning to do the whole job. However, with your dash all apart, it is a good idea to take a look around for other broken wires and broken lever cables and such. I found it an excellent opportunity to clean all the dust that had accumulated under there.

However, I have to say that I was quite lucky in that my blower had been apart before, so someone had used screws to hold the heating lever plate on and to bolt the heating unit back together. Therefore, I didn't have to break open the heating unit through all the tabs which saved a lot of time.

One particularly frustrating moment will come when you actually have to take the heating unit out. I discovered the big screws like to get frozen in there. There was also a screw that had to be taken out through the front grille. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be there or not.

I guess if you have a lot of patience and a lot of tools I'd suggest doing it yourself. There are a lot of other things you can check while you have the whole dash apart, and there are a lot of plastic things to break if you're careless or your mechanic is careless.

-Mike