Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:08:35 -0700
From:         Steve@SCHWENK-LAW.COM
Subject:      Re: Doing those Tune-ups Myself Again

I should add that i was the victim of such a scam, too. turns out the DA was already conducting a sting operation on the shop, and they were arrested and criminally prosecuted.

Steve@Schwenk-Law.com wrote: > > You should notify the District Attorney. Thye would be > very interested to know about this...which is criminal > and worthy of prosecution, unless "it was all a big > mistake...." > > Paul Schiemer wrote: > > When recently faced with a major repair for my daily driver (@38K) I thought > > to 'insure' the many jobs listed in the $300+ list were done. > > Since you just drop the car at the dealership and come back later to pick it > > up, anything can -or cannot- happen in the interim. > > > > I took clear nail polish and marked key nuts and bolts that would have to be > > removed prior to certain listed tasks being accomplished. > > I marked just about everything on the list in some fashion- as every liquid > > was to be flushed and changed, wheels rotated and timing belt & valves > > adjusted. > > I dropped the car and rode my bicycle back home. > > > > They called, I rode back. They rolled my freshly cleaned car to the service > > area and handed me a bill. > > I went out to inspect. [do any of you feel this coming??] > > The little stuff was done alright, but the big stuff couldn't have been done > > (because the nail polish wasn't even cracked in places). I got the Service > > Manager and brought him out to the car- showing him what I discovered. > > At first he disagreed with me; but reluctantly had to admit the work I was > > being asked to pay for probably was never even attempted. > > > > Rather than get into a big stink over this I handed him the bill back and > > told him to get it done, done right, then call me back when it was ready. > > The next day I come in and the car is out front of the dealership all > > spiffed up and ready to go. > > I go into the Service Department and ask for my key. The Service Manager > > himself hands it to me and says 'thank you'. > > Notice here that the thing gone missing is the bill. > > They never said a word about it. > > > > That little bottle of clear nail polish went a long way!