Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:41:52 -0400
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@TOAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: front blower motor
Comments: To: Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>

I did my 83.5 last year. If I could draw an anaology to the job it would be sort of like loading a truck with cement blocks; nothing really complex but nonetheless a big pain. Then again, paying for 4 hours of shop labor is also a pain. Since both of these pains are in the area of the hip pocket it is a question of which of the two objects in that area is best able to stand the coming bite. You have to remove the dash and to do that you have to drop the stearing wheel. The wheel is attatched to the dash by two "shear bolts". These bolts have heads shaped like a cone with no place to put a wrench but are easily be removed with vice grips locked on to the narrow band you will see at the base of the cone. You will likely chew them up a little doing this but since you are not supposed to reuse these bolts anyway that is no problem. If the bolts come out easy they will look perfectly reuseable and you may be tempted to reuse them. Everything I have ever read on the subject says DONT! I suppose it is like cotter pins, something that also are not supposed to be reused but often are. You "probably" will get away with it but then again you might not. Since it is the stearing we are talking about here that "might not" looms large. The worst part of the job is splitting that vent box once you get it out. The thing is glued togeather and must be cut apart in order to get to the blower motor. After you get in there you are 75% done. Pop in the new motor and put it all back togeather. The directions will tell you to snap the vent box back togeather with the clips that are on the box. The trouble with this is that there are usually no clips and it there are the plastic mounts for the clips are broken off. Just "gluing" the thing back togeather seems to work fine though. For the glue use something like "GOOP" that you will find in K-Mart, Wal-Mart and such places. This stuff makes a sort of "rubber" bond that is strong enough but still easy to cut through if you have to get in there again. Adgustments to the various cables are simple but will probably take several tries to get them right. As you reattatch the wires you may find a long grey one coming from the motor that seemingly has no corresponding grey wire to attatch to on the harness. This is a ground wire and goes to one of those copper "crown" looking gizmos screwed to the van body that you will see in various places when you get the dash off. Total time for the job took about three hours as I recall. Everything has been working fine for about a year now.