Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Sep 1999 02:35:46 EDT
From:         Carol Sussman <Sussmn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      BD popseal: where I yam what I yam: coolant sensor crack

Belated thank yous to the dozen people who sent detailed replies to my query on installing the replacement popseal. Thanks also to Ron of the Bus Depot for cutting the length with approx. 10 inches to spare. Now I have a patch piece and sample to show other volks. The replacement seal is not as thick and heavy as the original, but nicely designed. Grips the edge of the rooflid nicely, has an interior flange to keep water out. I added a thin bead of silicone sealant on the rear corners where the gap between the seal and the roof was wider than the flange. (Silicone caulk/sealant is a favorite of mine, right up there with duct tape and Never Seize) Tapped the seal into place with a wood block . DON"T use much force when you install/tighten the coolant sensor in the expansion tank. Went to see Ken Wilford (Vanagain guru) today to get parts. We assumed the coolant puddling on top of the expansion tank came from a crack in the tank. Ken removed the tank, found it was almost new. Checked the sensor, found a hairline crack above the o-ring, probably caused by attempt to tighten the sensor. Dont'cha just love threaded plastic? Especially on components exposed to temperature extremes? Now you know where the engineers in the bottom of the class went to work. Ken found a crack I would not have seen, and also a frayed short length of vacuum hose which he replaced at no charge. Good wrench, honest guy with the twisted sense of humor required to enjoy weird cars. Carol S Sussman south New Jersey near Delaware Bay, soon visiting VT. "Not a mechanic, just a driver with a toolbox" "Are we having fun yet?" from underneath my last MGB in the rain in pit lane during SCCA hillclimb.