Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Sep 1999 07:55:59 -0400
From:         Byron Spears <bspears@EROLS.COM>
Subject:      $2k ok for GL?; Where I At

Is $2000 a fair price for a Vanagon with (automatic) tranny problems? That's what I'm asking for my '87 GL, Matilda.

Maybe the trans needs replacement. I'm no mechanic. It started slipping about 8 months ago, then worked fine, then started slipping, then worked fine for 3 months solid, then started slipping but worked ok, then on Interstate 295 just let go. I could shut down, wait a few minutes, and then drive 5 or 200 feet, then it let go again. I had it towed and since then just moved it around the property here. I think my son drove to the store once, but basically it sits here for the past month.

Other than that, she's mechanically sound. Switched out the a/c condensation valve and charged w/ Freeze-12 this summer, also added brackets to hold up the ceiling-mounted parts. New coolant flange last November, brakes all turned and new pads installed in December.

Yes, her body shows her age. She's been in parking lots and on the street all around the Washington area. However, no serious rust problems. Also, the odometer quit on me maybe a year & a half ago at 151k. I can't have gone more than 20k, 25 max, since then.

I bought her in February 97 for $3200 with 148k on her; the owner was a Volvo mechanic who had just rebuilt the engine and then changed his mind about towing a boat behind a Vanagon.

What do you think?

Byron Spears '87 GL Clinton, Maryland (due southeast of Washington, DC, 3 miles outside the Beltway) 301-868-6453

[text/html]