Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:21:28 -0500
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Slow Rear Wiper Problem - RESOLVED

Hi Volks:

Many of you may remember my whining about my rear wiper being the worlds slowest - today I fixed it, and here's how:

1. Removed the rear hatch interior panel. I used a modified slotted plastic spatula to remove the clips - and didn't break or lose even one clip, cause of my WestSpatula tool.

Basically I removed one of the slots, and slipped the tool BEHIND the panel, not under the clip. This had the advantages of not marking the clip or panel, and spread the load over a wider area. Them clips just FLEW out!

2. I noticed a brown ground wire was connected to the metal hatch, but not connected to the wiper motor assembly. Removed the three bolts holding the assembly on - but still couldn't get at the motor. Removed the single bolt that holds the black wiper assembly cover on - voila! ... there was the press-on connector that the ground wire needed to be connected to - connected it and it was worked just fine!

Took all of 10 min to remove the panel, and ten min to solve the electrical problem.

Now to put the panel back on....

Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy "Iron Igloo" Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Founding Member of "Vanagon's Anonymous"