Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Sep 1999 00:49:24 -0400
From:         karl <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: 3 Questions- Engine carrier, Interior Trim,
              Erratic Speedometer
Comments: To: JCLCThomasson <jthom@NUCLEUS.COM>

> I have 3 general Vanagon/Westy questions: > 1. On my bi-annual exhaust pipe check, I noticed that the engine carrier bar > is bowed up in the middle as if it were used as an unsuccessful jacking > point. I don't remember it looking like that and the Bentley book doesn't > show it clearly. Does the carrier have an upward bend in the middle?

Yes, all that I have seen are that same way. Unless every one has been jacked up?

> 2. Most of the cabinet trim has become hard, brittle and rippled, > especially the T-trim on the very back shelf. VW tells me they don't carry > it, RV places I went to only had "oak-gold" trim - YUK! Is there a supplier > of trim that anyone knows about?

I have had great success restoring this wrinkled trim on a few campers. Here's how: Carefully pry the offending trim from it's groove in the woodwork. Heat some water in a large pot, then submerse the trim into the water, as you would pasta. 'Cook' for about 5 minutes. Then take the trim and carefully work it back into the groove, at the same time stretching it to it's original length. If it does not seat in entirely, take a short piece of flat wood (2X4) and lay it on the trim, and tap until the trim is fully seated. Voila!

> 3. Finally, my speedometer is acting erratically. It usually does not work > until the van is going 40-60 Km/h and then jitters below 70, and fine above > that. Has this been experienced by others? Is the speedo hooped? Does it > need lubrication?

Sounds like possibly a bad speedo 'head', or lack of lube. Not sure that part is serviceable. God luck!

Karl