Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:05:28 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Breather for 1.9 Diesel connversion question
Comments: To: "Paul A. Cianciolo" <paulc@SNET.NET>

I am assuming that this breather is just a crank case vent - you should be able to run it directly to the air filter - you need some sort of filter on it as air puffs in and out of your engine. On the 2.0L installs where people are using CIS with a warm up regulator, one usually just blocks this vent off. As long as the valve cover is vented you will not have a problem.

I wonder if you can do what most race cars do - when ever they shift gears, you usually see a big flame come out of the exhaust and a tremendous back fire! What happens is they usually dump fuel into the very hot exhaust manifold to create a back fire when the clutch is in - thus keeping the turbo charger spooled up until there is enough exhust to keep the boost pressure up. This would not be too good for street driving unless you have a tailgater you REALLY need to get off your back! I found Diesels were pretty good for this anyhow - the Diesel Caddy I used to own was perfect for tailgaters going up a hill. I would hold it in 4th until the engine was really struggling and then drop it into 3rd - POOF! A huge cloud of black smoke would roll out... ahh those were the days!

At 10:19 PM 28/09/1999 -0400, Paul A. Cianciolo wrote: >Hello Folks > >I am very close to going to get my 1.9TD Vanagon registered. I need to >attend to one more challange. >I cannot find a breather for the 1.9td and I do not want to go to the dealer >unless it is a last result. > >1) Has anyone ever used any other style oil seperator? > >2) Can I just vent this to the atmosphere or do I need to break my intake >line to the turbo? > >3) What might happen if I do just vent it to the atmosphere? > >Thanks for the help > >BTW I have been driving the Vanagon around the block and I must say this >thing really flies compared to >what I though it would be like. Shifting point is important. Must shift at >a point where the rpm is still high enough in the next gear to keep the >turbo from spooling down. > > > >Paulc >W1VLF >Cloudbounce Webpage http://www.qsl.net/w1vlf/ > >1986 Vanagon Gas >1982 Vanagon Diesel Turbo Diesel 1.9 >GE Electrak E20 and E15 electric tractors > >

-- David Marshall - - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westie, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --