Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:45:04 -0700
From:         "Renouard, Robert" <Robert.Renouard@METROKC.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Head leaks & Witches Brews.
Comments: To: Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>

I've got the famous blinking red light syndrome and suspect gasses are getting into the cooling system because the fill tank level is always higher than the cap. A mechanic friend told me Silver Seal was definitely better than Bars Leak because it gums up the systems less. I have decided to drive it untill it dies because the motor has 180K miles and will replace with a new long block. Right now I am gettting about 200 miles before the light comes on but interestingly, once the light comes on, I can turn-off the motor, restart it and the light turns off and the temperature gauge slightly drops. This gets me an additional 100 miles before I have to add about a quart of coolant. A few Questions:

1. Why does cutting the engine and immediatly restarting drop the temperature?

2. How long can I expect to survive like this?

3. Even though I can add coolant and bleed the system in less than 10 minutes now, I am unsure of the sequence of steps. Bently does not say when the engine compartment bleeder valve should be closed. For me it goes like this:

A. Park uphill @ 5 degrees (not difficult in Seattle) B. Remove grill and open radiater bleeder valve until air escapes C. Open rear valve D. Pull hose and open top tank (licsence tank would spill if opened) E. Hold throtle w/ wire tie at 2000RPM F. Fill top tank untill leaking from radiater bleeder G. Close radiater bleeder and close top tank in back H. Release throtle I. Tighten engine compartment bleeder.

Should the back bleeder be close first, before the top tank cap, or last?

Finaly, the licsence tank shows leakage along the top seam. Could a leaky tank be my problem, or is that just an other symptom of gasses in the system?