Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:50:13 -0600
From:         Alfred Bagdan <alfredb@NAIT.AB.CA>
Subject:      Re: Frig will not stay lit
Comments: To: Ron Hill <rhill@MYLINK.NET>

Hi Ron

I had the same problem about the fridge not staying lit while driving.

Here is how I fixed it:

Removed outside went plate. Note the two holes. The middle one is the vent pipe, the one in front of it and off center is the air intake for the fridge burner. It is very important that the intake seals be airtight, since when your are driving more air than is needed will force itself down the intake pipe and blow out the burner. Removed two more screws so that the inner plate was off too. Examined and cleaned the rubber gasket. I then used a sealant on the gasket and also gooped some around the intake hole, anyplace I thought air other than where it is supposed to, could come in. Put the inner plate back on, making sure the gasket was in the right place. Gooped some more sealant on and smoothed it out with my finger. Put the went plate back on (its a bit tricky)

That's it. I then lit the fridge and it stayed on while driving, going through a storm and it was getting so cold inside ice was being made in the tray! When we got home 8 days later it was still lit.

Hope this is of some help.

Alfred

P.S. I used a transparent sealant so it would not be noticeable.