Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Oct 1999 16:04:12 -0400
From:         John <johnpatt@WARWICK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Test equipment
Comments: To: Roger Bowman <bowmanrp@EARTHLINK.NET>

Roger Bowman wrote: > > Greetings; > > I would like to poll the list for which test meter is suitable for > troubleshooting the electrical/electronic systems. I see the following > gradations: > > 1.) Basic needle meter - radio shack or equiv. $100 > 2.) Basic Digital meter - just digits; 3 1/2 or something $250 > 3.) Enhanced digital meter - similar to Fluke with the bar graph meter and > 3 1/2 digits $400 > 4.) Basic ScopeMeter - digital meter and an osciliscope (20mhz) function. > Fluke? $1000 > 5.) Hand held oscilliscope - Tek, Fluke, and others. $1000-$2500 > 6.) Dedicated automotive hand held oscilliscope - fluke makes one of these. > $3000 > 7.) Dedicated VW Scan Tool/Scope/Meter $3000+ > > What are our diagnostic wizards using? Any other suggestions? I assume a > break-out box is also needed. I considered the Digifant tool mentioned on > the WWW, but the ECU's I'm coming across are sealed as a condition of > warranty. Break the seal, break the warranty - let alone solder extra > connectors and so forth... > > As my syncro gets its age, I find myself poking around in diagnostic mode > more and more often - right now I'm down for a new computer (second one in > 2,500 miles...) and my radio shack needle model just ain't too good. My 3 > 1/2 digital meter is approaching toast, and I might be replacing it soon - > but with what? > > Roger Bowman - bowmanrp@ earthlink.net > Live Smart. Think for Yourself. Transform the Future

Hi Roger,

I hope all that flack from our 86 year old member blew over. There is a clear need for a break out box but that's just not going to happen. Front probing the 25 pin Digifant multiplug works just fine providing you have the correct male pin adapters..... if not, female receptacle damage is likely..........

As for your SECOND Digifant control Module failure in 2,500 miles, this is unbelieveable ! Yoou need to send your failed DCM to the ECU gurus on the list (Darryl ?) for analysis as to which external circuits caused the damage.

For Vanagon diagnostics, a Fluke 83 is all that is needed for all the Vanagon/Digifant level of electronics (THANK GOD !!!) Save all those other high priced meters for the BMW 12 cylinder models !

Regards, JP