Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Oct 1999 07:24:40 -0700
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM>
Subject:      A Cleaner Oil Change for Diesel Vanagons
Comments: To: VWDiesel List <diesel@vwfans.com>

A while back, someone was lamenting the oily mess created when removing the oil filter on their diesel Vanagon. I had an idea, but wanted to wait until I needed a filter change to try it out. Here's what I did:

Tools required: strap type oil filter wrench, 2 liter plastic soda bottle with cap.

1. Cut the curved bottom off of the soda bottle. I used a razor knife.

2. Cut an additional section (just a little wider than your oil filter wrench) about 90 degrees around the large end of the bottle. This is for the handle of the filter wrench.

3. Slide the filter wrench to the top (base) of the filter, work the bottle onto the filter until it encloses the entire filter and wrench. Make sure the cap is on the bottle.

4. There is enough room between the coolant hoses to work the filter off. Use the wrench to unscrew the filter. Grip the bottle with your hand to keep the filter from tightening when you reposition the wrench.

I did this yesterday and it worked great! No more oily mess to clean off the engine. The soda bottle has plenty of room for the half quart or so of oil that leaks out when you loosen the filter.

Note: Another list member suggested drilling a hole in the filter to drain the oil prior to removing the filter. I tried this on my wife's Honda (another huge mess when changing oil) and it didn't work. Only a few drops of oil came out until I broke the seal at the filter gasket, then it came out from both ends at once :(

Mike Snow 1982 Westfalia Diesel Camp Pendleton, California