Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Oct 1999 13:28:50 EDT
From:         RAlanen@AOL.COM
Subject:      Rear Wheel Bearings

On our recent trip to the Campers on Cape Cod event we encountered a noise emanating from the right rear wheel and eventually found that it was a problem with the wheel bearings. Now, to be honest I must say that I have had this noise coming from the this rear wheel before, sort of like a creaking sound as the vehicle is rolling slowly but not so evident at speed. I found previously that the axle nut was loose and tightening it solved the problem. Not so this time. I eventually removed the wheel, the axle nut, the hub and found the bearings were pretty dry. So off to get my Bentley and see what they had to say about all this. I did not know that the rear wheel bearings on the Vanagon needed greasing like the front ones on most vehicles so I was a bit perplexed. Well, the Bentley states that these wheel bearing need to be repacked with grease and that the axle nuts and bearing spacers be replaced with updated ones on vehicles with Vin # prior to ????????? (I don't have my Bentley here and have forgotten the #) but anyways that's not the important part. To change the bearings, inner and outer and grease seals, inner and outer, the bearing spacers and axle nuts on both wheels was a bit more of a project than I was ready for at the moment. So I went back to the situation and pumped the wheel bearing cavity full of grease through the opening around the grease seal that is provided when the wheel hub is removed. Put the hub in place a few times to cram the grease in there well and pumped more grease in then put the hub back on for the final time and tighten up the axle nut as tight as I could get it with a 24" pipe wrench ! Now I know this may not sound kosher to some of you but it worked for me for now. The noise has gone away. I am making plans though to change all the rear wheel bearings, grease seals, bearing spacers and axle nuts soon ! So if you did not know about this before I hope I have been of some help and if you did know then move on to the next problem ! Guess I'll have to spring for a proper wrench for the new axle nuts, aye !

Cheers Frank Condelli '87 Westy Almonte, Ontario Visit me on the web......> <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/RAlanen/index.html">Frank, Rita & April's Website</A>