Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Oct 1999 20:04:39 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Rear Wheel Bearings
Comments: To: RAlanen@AOL.COM

Frank, (nice to meet you and your daughter, btw), I have an '84 and it has the new 10-slot nuts on it, so you shouldn't have to worry with an '87. By my reckoning, VIN 25ZBHetc. would be sometime in 1981 (it's the B that's significant -- the Z and H come in the positions that Bentley shows just as underscores).

As to the wrench, this is not for everyone, but I got a tool from Bus Depot that has ears you're supposed to hammer on to remove the nut, then a half-inch-drive hole for a torque wrench. I had two problems with it -- one, it was tough to hit the ears on this fairly short wrench without involving the wheel; and two, even with the offset I didn't have a torque wrench strong enough to put it back.

I took that tool and welded it to the end of a thickish (1 cm, maybe?) strip of plate I found in a railroad scrapyard. It was maybe 1 1/2 meters long by a few inches wide and the whole thing weighed about 11kg. Standing on the end of that and jouncing gently opened it right up. For tightening, I calculated the distance from the center for various forces to result in the proper torque, and ground little notches in the edge of the bar. I then made a stirrup that would hang from the notches and got my wife to stand at the appropriate point. Worked like a charm, except it scraped the paint at the fender flare. So (too late for this time around) I heated and bent it so it's offset an inch or two as it goes by the fender.

Major disadvantage is it's a 6-point hole which means large angle changes between flats on the nut. But it worked and I'm confident of the torque value. It was easy to move up to the next slot by having her stand a little farther out on the wrench. Useful range of weight turned out to be about 65-90 kg or so, as more (like my roughly 110kg) was too far in on the wrench.

david David Beierl - Providence, RI '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"