Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Oct 1999 08:48:17 -0500
From:         Colin Moran <bolliver@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Still here and driving

Hello to all my fellow listies, I thought I would drop a post to say "Hi" My van is running very well. I now have about 8,000 miles on my new engine. I had to replace the distributor. The hall sensor failed. It started shutting off after driving for about 30 minutes. Sometimes it would restart sometimes not. I have not had a recurrence of the problem since replacing the distributor. I have just replaced the CV boots on the front. My '86 now has over 220,000 miles on it. My last rebuilt engine lasted about 160,000 miles. They are both VW rebuilds.

I still have a leak on my coolant tank. If anyone has a good used one, I would be interested in buying it. I started using the heaters again. The temperatures here in Arkansas have started to get chilly in the morning. I think I have a leak on the rear heater core. I smell antifreeze from time to time when I run it. I guess its time to pull it out and see how bad it is.

After following all the posts on tires, I decided to try for an inexpensive replacement tire. I bought Goodyear Viva radials. I wanted to go with an truck tire but didn't want to pay allot. My Syncro isn't a camper, so my loads are fairly light. The Viva's are P205-75R-14. The load rating is 1532lbs. at 44psi. Treadware 400, traction and temperature are both B's. The tire is supposed to be an 80,000 mile tire. I paid $43.00 mounted and balanced. I am running them with 44psi in the rear and 40psi in the front. The tread pattern is open and fairly aggressive. The tire is not an all terrain tire, but I think it would do very well in dry or slightly wet conditions. My gas mileage increased quite a bit. I haven't calculated it but I used but I could only get about 250 miles on a tank of fuel before. Now I get close to 300 miles on a tank. The tires have a stiff side wall and handling is very good. The tread is full depth across the tire. This helps channel water out from under the tire. We'll see how the tire works. I know many of you are looking for a cheaper tire for your vans

Well ya'll take care.

Colin Moran '86 Syncro GL "The Bronze Brick"

[text/html]