Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Oct 1999 08:15:01 -0700
From:         Roger Bowman <bowmanrp@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Digifant mysteries...

Greetings.

During my recent digifant follies, I uncovered some mysteries that my research has not clarified. you may recall my description of some intermittent "cut-out" problems, during which the tach would fall to "0" rpms and the engine would stop producing power - similar to a digifant ECU failure of recent past. This failure went 100% recently, and me and the van were towed home.

Replacement of the ECU did not correct the problem. After some troubleshooting, I discovered that the entire ECU/FI circuit was not receiving any power.

Tracing power back from the ECU, to the "wire distribution box" (located at the left rear of the engine compartment) and then back to the alternator, I discovered that the death-grippin' crimp that joins the wire from the started to the FI harness at the alternator had lost conductivity. Even though the crimp was still tight, tight, TIGHT! no current or voltage was available to the ECU and FI harness. I uncrimped, cut and stripped then soldered the conductors to the ring terminator for the alternator, and now all is well.

Please emphasize early in your digifant diagnostic routine: Check for power supply. Check the post in the "wire distribution box" for voltage.

Some other questions regarding other mysteries:

1.) Inside the "wire distribution box" I found a fuse holder with a 5 amp fuse. A brief review of the schematic did not show me what this fuse is for. Anyone else know?

2.) I also discovered a single wire, brown in color, running out of the harness near the thermostat, across the engine near the distributer and down the front of the engine to some sort of sensor or something located near the main pulley on the left side of the motor - where it appears to be just about impossible to change in situ. again, a quick review of the Bentley did not prove enlightening. Anyone else know what this wire leads to?

Roger Bowman - bowmanrp@ earthlink.net Live Smart. Think for Yourself. Transform the Future