Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Oct 1999 13:31:05 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: TBD sliding door screen
Comments: To: busdepot@email.com
Comments: cc: Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>

At 12:05 10/4/99 , The Bus Depot wrote:

>The screen I sell is an identical copy of the original Westfalia part, other >than the zipper being a slightly different color. Rather than try to >"improve" on the Westfalia design, I opted to simply repro it, "warts and >all." The original screen was designed for mid 80's on Westfalias, so some >differences may/will occur when using it on other years/models. > >A couple of list members, as well as myself, have already posted our >experiences installing this screen to the Vanagon list (and in fact one of >the posts was quite detailed as I recall), so rather than to waste the >bandwidth repeating everything here, I'll refer you to the archives.

Ok. I have looked at every previous post on these screens, and all the people with '87s say they love them and all the people with '84s say "Huh? It's too big." There was one '82 installer who was satisfied, but he said "...thick, it was equally thick. I finally gave up and have bunched that part of the screen together and stuffed it behind itself. I may try a velcro solution for this area or I may just live with it. The installation will be..."

Somehow that doesn't sound like a clean installation to me....

Various posts refer to a "heater conduit" without describing it precisely -- my '84 and '85 both use the door pillar to conduct cold air (controlled by the bottom slider on the panel) to two ducts over the door. Is that what's meant? Your (Ron's) quite detailed description of where the snaps are on an '87 show the foremost snap to be on the forward side of the "heater conduit." As nearly as I can tell, the foremost snap on mine would be on the passenger's window glass. One of the forward-edge snaps would be into the seat-belt retractor mechanism, and both in that position and the "heater conduit" position there would be gaps of two or three square inches or more. I don't doubt that I could come up with some weird arrangement that would work if I stuffed rags in the gaps, but frankly I paid for a screen that was customized to fit the opening and unless I'm really missing something crucial then this ain't it. I've put several hours of headscratching and study into this by now and I'm no forrarder than before.

I think you ought to come up with a precise *well-fitting* installation procedure for the earlier vanagons up to whenever it was that whatever it was changed, or else take back the ones you've sold to people like me and Mark, and make it clear on the order page that there is a problem with fit on the earlier ones.

Thoughts?

thanks david David Beierl - Providence, RI '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"