Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Oct 1999 10:54:44 -0700
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>
Subject:      Letter to VWoA's President re: Eurovan Fuel Leaks/Fires
Comments: To: ev_update@egroups.com

Hi folks,

As part of the on-going process of keeping you informed as to the progress of the fuel leak/fire issue, I am posting a copy of a letter which was faxed and also sent via express mail to Mr. Verd Klauss, CEO of VWoA.

Ric

Mr. Verd Klauss Chief Executive Officer Volkswagen of America, Inc. 3800 Hamlin Road Auburn Hills, MI 48326

Dear Mr. Klauss,

I am writing to you regarding a problem that I have had with my 1993 Eurovan, and with Volkswagen of America's Customer Service Department. By way of background, I have been a loyal Volkswagen customer since 1969 when I bought my first VW, a 1957 Beetle. In 1974, I purchased my first new VW, a Type 181 "Thing". Since 1986 my wife and I have purchased a 1986 GTI, a 1988 Golf GT, a 1993 Eurovan MV( to haul our kids around in), and a 1998 New Beetle (the order was placed in January of 1994 when the Concept 1 was announced). Currently we have 6 VWs in our family, the Eurovan, the New Beetle, a 1990 Cabriolet, a 1984 Vanagon GL (my son has it at college), a 1983 Rabbit GTI (SCCA Solo II EP), and a 1956 Beetle (owned since 1975).

On September 4, 1999 my Eurovan (VIN#: WV2MC0707PH001948) suffered an engine fire. A faulty clamp caused the fire on one of the lines that bring fuel from the fuel pump to the fuel injection rail. The leak occurred directly above the distributor, which presumably provided the spark to ignite the fuel.

Subsequently, I have found out through an Internet group (dedicated to VW Vanagons and Eurovans) that I belong to that fuel leaks, especially on 1993 Eurovans, are a common occurrence. In further research, I found a 1994 Canadian recall on 1992 Eurovans for fuel leaks and fuel fires; at least 20 complaints on the NHTSA websites for fuel leaks and fires; and recall notices for other VW products (ex. 1990 Cabriolet) for repairs to leaking fuel lines. All of these complaints/recalls are for the same problem - clamps which loosen over time, or do not seal properly when the fuel lines are cold, causing fuel leaks and possible fires.

On September 10, I contacted VWoA's Customer Service Department to register a complaint about the fuel leaks in my Eurovan. I was told that the information would be forwarded to the proper person. On September 13, after receiving information about the Canadian recall and consumer complaints at NHTSA, I again called Customer Service.

At that time I was informed that there was a file number established for my claim (990321036). The person in charge of my file, Mike Ducrane (sp?), was not in so I was transferred to a female representative. I explained the situation about the recalls, etc., and asked if it would be possible to be reimbursed by VW for any costs that were not covered by my insurance (deductible, loss of use of the vehicle, etc.). When asked why I was making the request, I responded that I believed that the fuel lines in the engine compartment were defective. Furthermore, VW had notice of these defects because of the Canadian recall (true, the recall was on 1992 Eurovans, but the 1992 Canadian Eurovan and the 1993 Eurovan have the same fuel system, parts, etc.). I also mentioned the number of consumer complaints on the NHTSA websites and from my Internet group.

At that time I was told in no uncertain terms that I did not know what I was talking about, that there were no fuel line problems in the Eurovans. I was also told that because I had filed an insurance claim, that I should ask my insurance company get its attorneys to call VW's attorneys, and if the insurance company thought the claim worthy of subrogation, then perhaps at a later date my costs would be taken care of.

I did not like having my concerns dismissed in that matter, so I told the customer service representative that I was a loyal VW customer for 30 years. Her response was: "That's nice…". I do not think "That's nice…" is a proper response to a loyal customer, do you? As a result of this response, I now seriously doubt whether or not I will ever again purchase a new Volkswagen product.

After the "That's nice" comment I mentioned that I was an attorney, at which point the conversation abruptly ended. I have not brought up this fact in this letter up until now. In fact you will notice this letter is not on any formal letterhead. It is not my intent to go the litigation route at this point.

This letter is being sent to you in hopes that I might be able to talk to someone who actually cares about the concerns of a long-time customer. Obviously, Customer Service does not, but perhaps you do. I am not looking to cause VW any problem, bad publicity, etc, but am looking for what is right regarding my situation as well as the fuel leak problem in general. I would like to be compensated for any costs not covered by insurance, if the insurance company decides to subrogate the claim, so be it. Furthermore, I believe that VW owes it to its customers to repair the fuel leak problems before someone is hurt in a fire. VW did an excellent job in the initial recall of the 1998 New Beetles, why can it not do the same for the owners of 1993 Eurovans?

I would like the opportunity to speak with you, or anyone that you designate, regarding this situation. This letter is being both faxed as well as sent by express mail.

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you for your help and anticipated assistance in this matter.