Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Oct 1999 16:51:46 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas heater question?
Comments: To: EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET>

The BN4 is a basically cylindrical object, roughly 20" long, and about 9" in diameter. It could be used as a stand alone if you have all the controls, although it was designed to work in conjunction with exhaust/heat exchanger heaters. You can mount it just about anywhere out of the weather. You can make bread in a car heated with a BN4.

The BA6 is (in my knowledge) a little more advanced. It is a flattened cylinder (making an elliptical tube) about 36" long. It is designed specifically for the 1972-'79 bus, and the 1980-1983.5 air cooled Vanagon. You *MIGHT* be able to use it with other things, but I think it would be tough. It is designed to mount in the center under floor area between the front axle and the rear axle on both models. You can bake New-York style pizza in minutes in a car heated with a BA6.

Both use a lot of electricity, and are designed mostly as a "pre-heat" or supplemental heater for the cavernous vans, and leaky VW Thing. The VW 411 and 412 also came fit with a BN4. They both *can* be used when the motor is off, but I'd want a big fat auxiliary battery if you were going to practice this.

If you get a good deal on a BA6, I might be interested in one. Lemme know.

G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: EMZ [SMTP:vw4x4@FYI.NET] Sent: Monday, October 04, 1999 2:27 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Gas heater question?

HI listies,

Does anyone know the difference between the BN4 and the BN6, VW installed, gas heaters? Is there any difference in what people call a heater booster/assist, and a regulator heater? Where in the Vanagon were these heater intalled? Anyone have any pic's? I have a line on getting several of these things, but I'm not sure what I really have here? These maybe just for assisting an existing air cooled Vanagon setup. I'm not sure if these would be useable as stand alone units? Any info. would be appreciated.

Eric

Eric 86-VW4x4 vw4x4@fyi.net 72-240z Pittsburgh, PA USA 1936-Chrysler