Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Oct 1999 17:40:25 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Would you be interested in a limited-slip diff for your
              Vanagon?
Comments: To: Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>

Aaah, yes, I can spin tires in 1st and 2nd gears with my Rabbit Pickup. Dynoed power of 145hp - 2.0L ABA engine, with a very trick head and cam with a 112mm European CIS fuel injection system. Other than switching garage bays in the middle of winter, the Rabbit PU has never seen snow since the 96/97 restoration. Third gear is too tall and I can only spin tires when it is raining.

Manditory vanagon content, no, none of my Vanagons can spin their tires on dry pavement!

At 09:05 PM 03/10/1999 -0400, Bulley wrote: >You have GOT to be talking about ON SNOW when you talk about spinning the >tires on a Rabbit in first, second, and third... Tell me you aren't saying >your Rabbit gets third gear when the pavement is dry... >G. Matthew Bulley >Director >Bulley-Hewlett & Associates >www.bulley-hewlett.com >Cary, NC USA >888.468.4880 tollfree > > >-----Original Message----- >From: David Marshall [SMTP:vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG] >Sent: Sunday, October 03, 1999 8:53 PM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: Would you be interested in a limited-slip diff for >yourVanagon? > >Todd, > >I would be willing to purchase one for my 84. I will be replacing the R+P >this winter so... now would seem like the perfect time to do it. > >On a related and LOT cheaper note, Velocity Sport Tuning in California make >a "mini limited slip" for 1983 and later A series Volkswagens. This is a >combo of shims and springs that go on either side of the differential. >With these installed, it requires about 85 to 100 ft.lbs of torque before >the wheels can spin independantly as opposed to the 5 to 10ft.lbs for the >factory transmissions. I have this $99 USD kit installed on my 1980 Rabbit >PU (1984 Rabbit Turbo Diesel trans) and I would have to say it works >perfectly! Before I installed this kit it was quite easy for me to spin a >tire in 1st, 2nd and if the pavement was wet 3rd gear. Now I can still >spin in 1st and 2nd but BOTH tires are spinning, I have yet to spin it in >third even when it is wet! Parking lots and the like are no different that >usual. I even had the unfortunate experience of having my CV joint bolts >vibrate loose and the axle let go from the transmission while waiting for a >green light. The truck managed to limp out of the intersection with only 1 >axle attached! I have driven my truck across my yard once when there was >snow on the ground (truck is garage kept in the winter) and even with >performance tires on there the traction was fantastic! It is a not a true >limited slip differential, but it works quite well at reducing slip during >most driving applications. > > > >-- David Marshall - - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- >-- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westie, 85 VW Cabriolet -- >-- 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- >-- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- >-- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- >-- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) -- > >