Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Oct 1999 13:21:08 EDT
From:         Steve Lashley <ThingGuy@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Back from Germany - No more Westfalia Campers

My wife and I are back from our business trip/vacation to Germany. We got in late Friday, and I'm still catching up on business and sorting through the 100 pounds of catalogs and brochures I brought back with me.

I took at least a dozen rolls of film and around 150 additional digital images. It may take me a while to get these up on the web. I'll sort out the best to post.

I had an interesting meeting with a rep from Westfalia. She says that there will never ever again be a Westfalia camper available in North America. She wouldn't say why, but there is more to the story that I don't know. I reminded her that we currently have a Westfalia Weekender available through the VW dealer. I went over the Westfalia Accessory catalog with her, and to tell you the truth, most items in the catalog I already offer on my web site, and source through different suppliers.

VWOA had decided not to offer any of the Westfalia accessories here in N. America. I'm looking into getting permission from VW to import these directly, as VW has sole rights to the items, even though they don't offer them.

My wife and I traveled around Germany for 2 weeks in a '99 Westfalia California camper. This is a poptop camper on the short wheel base T4 with TDI motor and 5 speed. I was truly amazed that this diesel motor has the driving characteristics of my 5 cylinder T4 gas engine. I was able to keep up with traffic and we got fantastic mileage as well. This at least doubles the mileage of my '93 EV.

I took her out on the Autobahn and only felt comfortable with a top speed of 140 kph, which is a little over 90 mph. I think there was more room there, but I didn't feel the camper handled well over that speed.

I don't know a lot about the Westfalia T4s that were offered in North America in the past, so I can't compare. Truth is, any T4 is pretty rare around here (St. Louis).

What I can tell you is that this camper had a VW option furnace/heater, diesel powered and mounted under the floor behind the driver's seat. There was a long cabinet against the driver side wall that held the refrigerator, stove, sink and storage.

The frig was interesting as it was a top load compressor unit that was labeled" Made by Westfalia for the Dometic Corporation, (don't remember the city) Indiana".

I wonder if they got that label a little mixed up.

The unit worked great. It ran off of shore power or off the spare battery. We kept it running all the time and the battery power never dropped below 12 volts, even when parked all night without shore power.

The diesel heater worked great. We used it only a couple of nights. All the electrical functions are controlled by a central panel above the front seats. I powered the heater on and kept turning down the temperature, but ended up turning the heater off as it would get too hot.

The gas stove was a Westfalia labeled double burner unit connected to the sink. The gas bottle was mounted in a sealed cabinet in the rear of the T4 and along with the water tank, was accessible by opening the rear hatch. In my opinion, this is a great setup. The water tank was over on the passenger side and had a swing out/up spout for filling it up (very nice) There was also a gray water tank under the camper with a drain valve in the bottom of one of the cabinets.

All in all, the camper was nice. The beds however were very uncomfortable. I ended up taking the top mattress down and laying it over the lower bed to offer just a little more comfort. I expressed this to the Westfalia rep, who my wife said looked very offended by it. She did ask how we liked the camper.

This is getting really long so I will try and rap it up. The next post I'll talk about the VW dealer and all the T4 accessories they have that are not available in N. America.

Steve Lashley '66 Westy '74 Campmobile '93 EV MV <A HREF="http://eurocampers.com/">http://EuroCampers.com</A> Importing German Side Tents, Carver Propane Heaters and other Accessories for Bus, Vanagon and EuroVan