Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:59:36 -0700
From:         "Drovdahl, Mark" <mdrovdahl@SPU.EDU>
Subject:      transmission woes ('88 westy with a '98 2.0 L)

Well, I suppose that I wasn't surprised when the transmission on my '88 Westy gave out last week. This after logging nearly 6,000 miles this summer behind the power of my '98 A3 2.0 L. Perhaps the 11 year old transmission was feeling inadequate...perhaps I've just got bad luck, as I was planning on selling the van this month anyhow. I'm in Seattle, and I could use some advice. 1) Would a prospective buyer be more interested in the van if it had a five speed tranny put in? 2) Has anyone sucessfully installed a five speed with a 2.0L motor? If so what's the word? 3) Anyone interested in buying the van prior to the trans replacement? (Unlikely since a test drive is impossible)

That's about it, i appreciate any and all responses...I'm in between ISP's, homes, and van's for that matter, and subsequently off list for the time being. Please Pmail. Thanks all.

Mark Drovdahl (Rufus, '88 Westy -Jetta powered, transmission challenged) mdrovdah@spu.edu Seattle, WA 206.427.3310