Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Oct 1999 09:26:51 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Odometer fix
Comments: To: Bill Johnson <bjohns@DTX.NET>

This is a common VW problem. It is caused by a combination of two things. 1) questionable design, 2) resetting the trip odometer while the vehicle is in motion.

I have had four separate vehicles "do" this, prior to learning about the trip reset issue. I have never had 100% long-lasting success in any repair with the original gear, as it gets wallowed out quickly when the shaft spins inside it. There was a source in San Diego a year ago who had a dozen of these gears...some help now, huh?

The most lasting fix I have done involved removing the gear, abrading the shaft so it had some "tooth", cleaning all with electronics cleaner, applying a small amount of epoxy, and shoving the gear back on. Let harden 12 hours, carefully reassemble. Lube with a VERY scant amount of axle grease.

Then NEVER reset your trip odometer unless the vehicle is completely stopped. Reason being, when you press the reset button, it forces certain parts to de-mesh and get out of synch. Consequently, the main odometer is temporarily locked, unable to rotate. That little white gear, however, continues to be driven by the worm gear, so it breaks its grip on the main odometer shaft, and is forced to free-rotate on the shaft until you release the button.

Cheers. G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Bill Johnson [SMTP:bjohns@DTX.NET] Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 8:24 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Odometer fix

I have my Speedo out of my '82 and found the little white gear that is engaged by the worm gear had slipped off it's shaft. Put it back on and it looks like it will work, but it also looks like it will slip off again. Are there any suggestions here. What type lube should I use in the Speedo, if any?

The back case of the Speedo is disintegrating. It looks like I will have to tape it up.

Bill