Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:07:18 -0700
From:         "Renouard, Robert" <Robert.Renouard@METROKC.GOV>
Subject:      Re: 1987 passenger Syncro For sale with factory ? Westy top.  IN
              PERSON REPORT
Comments: To: David Hayward <dhayward@ISLAND.NET>

> ---------- > From: David Hayward[SMTP:dhayward@ISLAND.NET] > Reply To: David Hayward > Sent: Thursday, September 30, 1999 11:35 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: 1987 passenger Syncro For sale with factory ? Westy top. > > A friend of mine noticed a "reposessed" 1987 Vanagon with Syncro for sale > in > the Vancouver BC area. I phoned another "Syncronaut" who knows of the > vehicle abit. Apparantly it was custom ordered by a VW higher up employee > originaly. It is a 7 passenger with curtains & a Westfalia top. There are > no > other camper bits inside I'm told. It is white in color with a stated > 97,000 > km, light grey interior. The mileage sounds a bit suspect but who knows > ??? > > If interested contact: Accurate Bailiffs at (604)-526-3737 > Andy Chapdelaine > There is a single photo on their web site @ www.repodepobc.com > I saw and test drove the "thing" yesterday. According to the VIN it is an 1989 and I was hoping for an under priced Syncro Westfalia like some I have seen in Seattle, but what I saw was an overpriced piece of junk. I just sold my 78 Volvo for $500 and it was superior.

First impression: Dull paint, sits very low for a syncro, driver's door doesn't open from outside, needed jump to start, missing piece from rear lid, sliding door wont stay open.

Exterior: Bondo-repaired rear left, the usual bent rear bumper.

Interior: Slightly worn, rates a 6/10, no arm rests, steering wheel seems older than the one on my 86, fabric is less nice than what I see on the U.S. models, radio doesn't work.

Engine compartment: Lots of rust. Probably sat for a long, long time before someone decided to finally get rid of it. No power steering. The car probably saw a lot of snow.

Running condition: Low power, vibration when accelerating, spark plugs corroded, significant oil leak (couldn't find source)

Pop Top: OK condition, exterior faded, one very small tear in canvas, canvas probably weakened from age and/or ultraviolet.

If it could be had for $500, and you were willing to invest another 3-4K, it might be a decent car.

The odometer says 95,000 kilometers (60,000) miles??? IMPOSSIBLE This thing has been beat up! Even if it were in good shape, It would not and could not be a Syncro Westy like the almost luxury models I see in the States. This Canadian version is a cheaper, utilitarian version.