Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:58:15 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rust around window openings
Comments: To: David Crook <raisincane@PEACHNET.CAMPUSCWIX.NET>
Comments: cc: bus <type2@type2.com>

David-

Welcome to our lil' neighborhood. You may want to explore a membership on the type 2 list; the info is on the Vanagon site www.Vanagon.com, as the folks there will know a heap more about the 1978, and will certainly know the motor on the 1980.

As for your window rust, yes, the windows on both come out relatively easily by cutting the old seals to shreds, and carefully lifting out the glass. On our list we have a half-dozen vendors who deal specifically in these bulli's, and the hungriest among them will probably have e-mailed you to tell you of his window seal prices. The procedure for curing the rust is as you can imagine, pretty straight-forward, remove all signs of rust by cutting/sandblasting. Weld in new metal...protect it thoroughly, paint it...etc.

G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: David Crook [SMTP:raisincane@PEACHNET.CAMPUSCWIX.NET] Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 1999 3:38 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Rust around window openings

<< File: ATT00005.htm >> Good afternoon from a new subscriber...

We own two Westy's a 1978 and a 1980. Both are automatics both are air-conditioned and both have rust around parts of the window opening. We want to semi restore them to use as daily drivers. Before painting them I want to remove and treat all of the rust spots...

Couple of questions;

* are the windows difficult to remove? Without removing them I won't be able to reach all of the problem areas. * Once the rust problem is treated and the vans are painted, will I be able to buy replacement window moulding ? * Where? * Will I be able to get them back in without prior experience or special tools?

Thank you very much... -- David Crook 444 Firetower Road, Fort Valley, GA 31030 http://www.raisincaneltd.com Phone: 912-825-1053 Fax: 912-822-9523