Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Oct 1999 21:08:27 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Vanagons Anonymous: Tradgedy again (I thought)
Comments: To: Lee Brewer <brewbag@YAHOO.COM>

I really think that there should be a 12-step program for certain German cars. Just like booze or pills, they can soak up your time and money, and put a ding in all other aspects of your life...all the while you 'think' you are having a good time...It took a violent crash to break my addiction to Porsche 914s, which absorbed countless hundreds of dollars through ongoing repairs and tickets, but MAN was it FUN!!!

Of course, our Westy is fun, and (like an addict) I can't imagine a life without it. I don't want to be without it, but it does cost a lot more financially and emotionally to upkeep a relationship with these things than a simple toyotacurasuburuhondachryslerfordchevynissan. Am I right to say the first step in a twelve step program is "recognize you have a problem"?

I'm not there yet wit our Westy. Godspeed to those who are feeling that first breath of winter breathing on their marginal head gaskets...

G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Lee Brewer [SMTP:brewbag@YAHOO.COM] Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 1999 11:46 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Tradgedy again (I thought)

Satuday mourning. Wife starts up the 88GL. It dies. Repeat 5 times. Initial look reveals small puddle under right side. I have not replaced that head yet! After a few words ^%#&&# we take the Toyota. Three days later when I have cooled off....I took a look at the engine. Found a loose hose clamp on coolant ring. also found a loose AFM connector (one side un attached). Viola.....all is well. Except coolant light keeps coming on and......

my wife does not understand my affinity for these vehicles.

not sure I do either.

Like Ken at Vanagain, I am a licensed A & P mechanic. but as of late am a Engineer/scientist (rocket scientist).

Bottom line for any newbee or want to be Vanagon owner is;

All (I repeat) All german cars need continuous TLC. they will treat you ok if you treat them real good. German engineering is such that you can always take it apart and fix it. It is designed that way on purpose. But you (or someone) will HAVE to do it. Just look at the aftermarket part suppliers for BMW, Porsche, etc. they do a great business cause we have to work on our cars to keep them running. Case in point. My 2nd porsch, an 87 944 with 57k miles had a leaking pwr steering rack! I have never had one leak on any of the other 40 cars i have owned. This is one of many examples. All flames accepted.

Maybe we can start a support group for men who keep trying to get their wifes motivated to accept "VANAGONISM" as a way of life.

Have you got your wife to WAVE yet?

===== Best Regards,