Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Oct 1999 08:31:03 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Intermittent Ignition miss, no start,or rich running,
              need help!,             LONG
Comments: To: Ezra Hall <ehall@TOGETHER.NET>

Hi Ezra, You have done a lot of good diagnostic work. Seems your biggest remaining problem is running rich. Does your van run rich in open loop ( O2 sensor unplugged) ? If no replace the o2 sensor. If yes check, clean and shine ground wires on left side of engine near coil and ground strap going to left head. Check temp 2 sensor (coolant temperature) you need to check it while it is failing. Attach a wire to it and attach you lcd meter to the wire and ground. With a warm engine temp2 will read about 0.1 volt and be steady. Keep an eye on your meter when the problem develops. Try some fuel injector cleaner in your tank. With a warm engine using your lcd meter (or scope if you like) check the o2 voltage with it plugged and unplugged. Plugged it should be bouncing above and below 0.5 volts. Unplugged it should be about 0.7 volts. Check at idle and at 3k rpm. Above 0.5 volts the mixture is rich, below 0.5 volts it is lean. The difference between 0.7 and 0.2 volts is less than 0.1 percent variation in you air fuel ratio. Good luck with your quest, the tougher the battle the sweeter the victory. Keep heart camping in a vw is really worth it all. Darrell Boehler Makanda Illinois

Ps. If you need a O2 in a hurry and one for a vanagon is not in your area, an 88 3.8L taurus will work fine. Just chop off the ford connector and solder on the vw from your old sensor.

----- Original Message ----- From: Ezra Hall <ehall@TOGETHER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 1999 11:09 PM Subject: Intermittent Ignition miss, no start,or rich running, need help!, LONG