Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:40:17 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Torque for rear axle nuts?
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM>

As much as I rag on Parts Place, their catalogue has a VERY smart tool for the mondo-torqued hub nuts.

Imagine a flat sheet of hardened steel, about 5/8" thick, with overall dimensions of roughly 7" x 3". At one end the flat surface is a hexagonal hole to exactly fit the circumference of the hub nut. Toward the other end of the flat, is a is a little square hole, where you can mate this tool to your ratchet, breaker bar, etc. Got it?

So you slip it on the hub nut, and attach your ratchet in the ratchet hole...then push down. Mean time, with your other hand, you give a downward wallop on the top 5/8" edge of the tool with your 5 lb sledge. Bingo! Doesn't answer how to torque it back on, but...

You could prolly find the same thing through Snap-On, and they'd give you a girlie calendar.

G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Stuart MacMillan [SMTP:stuart@COBALTGROUP.COM] Sent: Friday, October 01, 1999 11:19 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Torque for rear axle nuts?

Last time I did this job I went through all the gyrations with 10' pipes, torches, sledge hammers, etc. until I bashed the lip of the fender (this was on my '68 to get the brake drums off) and finally gave up and rented a 3/4 drive electric impact driver. Still took several seconds of impacting to break loose.

The problem is that the inflated tire absorbs much of the force when you try to break these nuts loose or tighten them by hand.

You really can't over torque these things when reinstalling, so just impact away with the driver. You just need to be sure to line up the castellated nut with the hole for the cotter key.

A trip to the rental store will save you much aggravation for about $25, and the 1 13/16 socket (which you also rent, they are at least $15 to buy a good one) is close enough.

Your van will thank you! -- Stuart MacMillan Manager, Case Program 800-909-8244 ext 208

Getting your share of the Net yet? http://www.cobaltgroup.com http://www.casedealer.com/demo http://www.caseihdealer.com/demo