Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Oct 1999 17:12:23 -0400
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@ENTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Flush and Fill
Comments: To: Doug Alcock <dgalcock@HEWITT.COM>

> I gather from a variety of posts that there is a RIGHT way to flush and > refill the coolant and that it's important that it be done just so. Can > anyone help me out with a step-by-step throught this procedure.

IMHO, it's more a matter of getting air bubbles out after you're done.

FWIW, I used a method I saw on the Vanagon list earlier this year.

Start with a cold engine...as in overnight cold. Otherwise you risk scalding yourself.

Basically, you disconnect the return line to the expansion tank at the plastic 'T' under the back lip of the engine compartment, position a transmission type funnel with the long neck such that it catches what comes out of the T and lets it flow into a bucket on the ground underneath (that's where the long hose on the end comes in handy). Open both heater valves all the way.

Take the expansion tank cap off (need to disconnect the line to the overflow tank). Have more empty buckets ready and have several buckets of flushing water or a garden hose ready. Start the engine and run around 2000 RPM and keep the expansion tank level from reaching the bottom so the water pump doesn't run dry. You'll see the stuff filling the bucket eventually come out clear.

Now, since you're putting cold water into the expansion tank, the thermostat never opens properly. At this point, I stopped the engine and manually drained the front portion by disconnecting the two hoses connected to the radiator. It helps to have the van facing slightly down a hill for this. You'll get LOTS of fluid all at once so have a few buckets ready.

I then blew out the radiator with a garden hose, as well as the two hoses I had disconnected.

Reconnect everything and then have enough pure coolant ready (half of 18quarts, which is the capacity of the 2.1 with the oil cooler, I think) such that you have a 50/50 mixture.

I switched from the DPO green stuff to orange and I didn't notice any green or barf-colored fluid in the system after I was done, so I must have gotten all the old stuff.

Bleeding is another story...I'm sure you'll get replies on that. :-) Bentley has the procedure.

-Karl