Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Oct 1999 17:12:22 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Grey Water/ Buckets!
Comments: To: James Fritz <jfritz@WILLINET.NET>

Okay, so now you guys are wondering (like most do)... "what's with Bulley and this tank thing...why can't he just use a bucket and get along like the rest of us???"

Well, the deal is this...I like our Westy because it is ALMOST self-contained. I like that on a Friday evening, we can drive up to the Blue Ridge, and (thanks to our porta-potty, and tolerance for close quarters), we can pull into a rest area at 11:00 p.m. and be in bed in fifteen minutes. EXCEPT, I have to get out and place our bladder for face-washing and tooth-brushing suds. So, on Saturday morning there we are, on the Blue Ridge Parkway, ready for a GLORIOUS drive as the sun comes up. And I have to get out of the van, again, and figure out where to empty the bladder of cold toothpaste foam.

Not much later, we pull over on another choice overlook, and cook breakfast looking down at mist-covered mountain tops. Other motorists in lesser vehicles pull in for a moment, then have to move on, or park, and walk around... but they can't enjoy a Huevos Rancheros and Tortilla breakfast in the comfort of their vehicle. As we are scrubbing up our dishes, those other motorists are treated to the site of our nasty slurry of eggs, coffee grinds and such slopping into our clear bladder. Then I have to lug that nastiness in our van until we get to a commode, or such.

In my mind, only two things separate our Westy from being the most civilized small camping vehicle. One: a temperature-controlled furnace (which we will install [Carver P4] in the coming months). And TWO: seamless containment of the mess that comes out of the sink, such that one can deal with it "later", like we do with the fridge, water tank, and such. Self contained. Don't leave a trace.

That's wha's up.

G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: James Fritz [SMTP:jfritz@WILLINET.NET] Sent: Sunday, October 03, 1999 3:19 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Grey Water/ Buckets!

<< File: ATT00007.htm >> Reply to: RE: Grey Water/ Buckets! Melissa, I concur. I discovered that my Igloo Playmate cooler with the tilting top fit perfectly under the van, holds over 3 gallons, and the top flips back over when I'm carrying it to the repository of choice. Low tech, easy, my way of doing things. jim

Jim in Iowa 91 Passat Wagon GL 89 Westy 66 Beetle

Melissa E. Mourkas wrote: >Okay, everybody, I like the tank idea, too. I think it is very cool and I'm >tempted to consider one. But for 10 years I have simply put a 2-gallon >bucket under the sink drain outlet, and emptied it into the appropriate >place: be it the dish-washing sink provided by the campground, the RV sewage >dump, or whatever. There is no need to dump greywater on the ground at a >campsite(and, frankly, no excuse!). I have always had two buckets in my >van: one labeled CLEAN and one labeled DIRTY. Dirty is useful for many >things, I'l let you figure the rest out. > >Melissa Mourkas >Haydenville, MA >81 Westy 'Hildie'