Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Oct 1999 22:51:19 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Converter and muffler instalation
Comments: To: José Rafael Moscoso <jmoscoso@CARIBE.NET>

> I just received a Cat converter and muffler for my '84 Westfalia from > BusDepot.com (thanks to Ron and the guys, it made it to Puerto > Rico in four days, including week-end) Both of them look strong but the > muffler came with a dent about three inches long 1/4 inch depth, there doesn't > seems to be any interior harm done. In the converter there is a screw (about 3/4 > inch) on one side. > > 1) Will the dent have any effect on the muffler performance? > 2) What is the screw on the converter for

Regarding the bolt in the catalytic converter, it is there because the cat I sell (for $99) is designed to fit both 1.9L and 2.1L Vanagons. The two cats are identical, except that on the 1.9L models the 02 sensor went into the pipe before the cat, whereas on the 2.1's the sensor went directly into the cat. If you use this cat on a 1.9L vanagon, simply leave the supplied bolt in place; on a 2.1L, remove it and put the 02 sensor there.

Regarding the dent in the muffler, frankly this is common. You would not believe the way these mufflers are shipped here from Europe! Just piled into a big crate, with no packaging whatsoever, and left to bang up against eachother at will throughout their journey over the seas! When I get them from a U.S. distributor instead (as opposed to directly from Europe), they are often sent the same way, or if I order just one or two they are just shipped loose, with no box at all, just an address label slapped onto the outside of the muffler. I suppose the distributors feel that if they made it here from Europe bouncing around loose in a box, UPS can't hurt them much. Needless to say, small dents are the norm rather than the exception. Of course, sitting behind your rear wheels, exposed to whatever may kick off of your rear tires etc., the muffler is likely to get plenty of dings and dents in no time anyway. My suggestion is that unless the dent is splitting a seam or otherwise appears to affect the integrity of the muffler (which is extremely rare; hence the manufacturers' willingness to ship them this way), I wouldnt worry about it. You could easily go through a half dozen of them trying to find a "perfect" one, considering how the manufacturers ship them. And a cosmetic dent really wont matter anyway, considering that we're talking about a muffler here, not a trim piece. Of course, if the damage appears to be severe enough that it threatens the structural integrity of the muffler (quite unusual), you should most certainly contact me for exhange, as I would not allow one to leave the shop that way, so it might be indicative of severe shipping damage that occured from me to you.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW