Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Oct 1999 20:25:15 -0700
From:         Antaki <wrack@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Torque for rear axle nuts?

I don't know if anyone covered this most primative of ways to torque these big-uns, without the benfit of a torque wrench of the proper size. Here is my 2 ft-lb worth -

Tools needed: A breaker bar of ratchet handle and socket of proper size, an accurate bathroom scale, and a long, strong cheater handle.

Method to be used after tightening the nut as tight as easily possible without using the cheater:

1) Weigh yourself on the scale and make note of that value. 2) Divide the torque value (in ft-lbs) you want by the length of the cheater handle from the center of the nut. 3) Subtract the divided torque value from your weight, and make note of the answer. This is the number you will be looking for on the bathroom scale when applying torque. 4) Set the socket, handle and cheater onto the nut so that you will be pushing down on the handle to apply torque. 5) Push down on the cheater handle until the scale indicates the value calculated in step 3. That's it!

For example, assume that you want to torque your castle nut to 360 ft-lb, weigh 200 lbs, and have a 3' cheater bar. To calculate the target weight on the scale, divide 360 by 3, = 120. Subtract 120 from 200, = 80. You want to torque until the scale indicates that you weigh 80 lbs.

Disclaimer: I am only suggesting this method as a way to torque a fastener in the absence of proper tools. This is not guaranteed to be very accurate, it depends on the accuracy of your scale, how accurate you measure your distance from center of nut to where you hold the cheater handle, and your rate of weight gain/loss. BE CAREFUL - often with a cheater handle, more force can be applied to a tool than it was meant to take, and it may break. The socket may slip. In any event, you are responsable for any problems arising from using this method. Your results may vary. Be sure to have a shade tree nearby for carma.

Good luck, and if anyone sees a problem with this method, please let me know. It has worked in a variety of situations for me in the past.

Ron Antaki '88 Wolfsburg (Why do the wheels keep falling off while I'm driving?)