Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:53:17 -0600
From:         "Richard A. Jones" <jones@COYOTE.COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: BA6 Info
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I've had an '81 with a BA6 since new--and the memories of being cold in my '76 with no supplemental heat have faded back alongside of walking 5 miles to school, returning a penney to the rightful owner,.... ;-)

I run the BA6 whenever it is cool or cold and we have plenty of that in Colorado. Boulder to Grand Canyon in March once must have been 40+ hours of "on time" for the whole trip.

In 18 years and 125k miles I have had one problem--the overheat switch failed about year 2. Otherwise, it just keeps rumbling alone.

At rebuild time at 103k miles, the mechanic commented that he had lots of BA6 parts and knew all about them--and that most problems came from not being used, in his opinion. Since that endorsed my mode, I immediately agreed with him!

My Porsche mechanic strongly encouraged me NOT to look for an exceptionally low mileage car when I was replacing my 911 last winter. A car with "normal" mileage for the age is better--cars are meant to be driven, not garaged. That was his opinion and advice.

So--drive your cars and keep the BAs rumbling!

Also, I have a BA4 in unknown condition if anyone is interested. Email me directly.

Richard A. Jones Boulder, Colorado '81 Vanagon Mr Bus <jones@colorado.edu>