Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Oct 1999 21:15:10 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      EUROPEAN PARTS SHIPMENT is in!!

Well, my long-awaited overseas shipment has arrived, and there are definately some killer items here. This is by far my largest European order ever, and probably for some time. So it's a long list. Nevertheless I feel that it contains enough general interest to be worth posting; hope you agree. So if you're interested, read on, and if not, delete.

It's late Thursday as I write this. By mid-morning Friday all of the items will be on the website, or of course you can call or e-mail. If you want to order them via the website, they are all on the BARGAINS page. If you go to the main search page, which is http://www.busdepot.com/ASP/search_new.asp , you will find a link to the BARGAINS page on the left side of that page. Please note that the below pricing reflects LIST MEMBER DISCOUNTS THAT WILL EXPIRE THE END OF THIS MONTH, OR SOONER IF THEY SELL OUT (which many will). You MUST specify that you are a list member, in the comments section of the website order form (or over the phone), in order to get these prices. The website will list most of the prices as a bit higher, but as long as you specify your membership, we will adjust the price manually prior to shipping.

BRAKE SHOES/PADS As many of you know, new German brake shoes have been nearly impossible to find in the U.S, and when you could find them the price was ridiculous. What you get here is generally resurfaced shoes, not new. I now have a quantity of NEW original-equipment Pagid brake shoes, directly from Germany, at just slightly more than the price of resurfaced (especially since there is no core deposit). These are comparable to what came on your VW, as Pagid is one of the original suppliers to Volkswagen in Germany. Supply is limited. REAR SHOES are $29.95 a pair FRONT PADS are $19.95 a pair (86-91 are Volkswagen branded, 80-85 Pagid)

FRONT GRILLS & SPOILERS I have upper grills for '80-85, including emblem and clips, for $179.95. (The European grills use the larger 86-on emblem, so replacing the emblem is required). I got front emblems ('86-up) for $12.95, originally $30. I got lower grills (stock) for $59.95.

I also have custom lower wraparound front grills for $149.95, but only five of them. These grills wrap right around your turn signals and look really sharp. You can see one at http://www.busdepot.com/t25side.gif I also got more of the genuine VW front spoiler kits (visable on the same picture), which were stock on '87-up Wolfsburg editions and all '89-91. These will fit all Vanagons. All of the pieces are included but not the nuts & bolts (which are generic anyway).

SPEEDO/TACH INSTRUMENT CLUSTERS (COMPLETE) This is the whole cluster, with speedo, tachometer, and clock attached (but not the switches, which pop out). A great opportunity for anyone who wants to upgrate their pre-85 Vanagon to a tach. (Conversion is easy. I think Chris Turner alias jordanvw once posted basic instructions, but it's pretty much one wire.) The speedo is in km, so unless you're from out of the U.S. you'll have to swap it out with your old one (four screws). Also the digital clock is likely to be a 24-hour clock since that is what is common in Europe (although I believe that a Golf/Jetta clock is a drop-in replacement; anyone try one from a junkyard?) Price $99.95.

BUMPERS AND IMPACT STRIPS I got black (primer) metal bumpers for front and rear, for $129.95 for the PAIR. These are the stock bumpers in Europe, and look just like the chrome ones except that they're primered black. They do not have holes for the impact strips (not commonly used in Europe) but do use the stock endcaps.

I also got a great deal on the impact strips for our U.S. Vanagons with chrome bumpers. Fronts are $24.95 each, rears are $49.95. (Replacement clips are also on the website if you need them.)

BODY RUBBER 1/2 PRICE I got new Genuine VW vanagon windshield gaskets, available with or without the groove for the trim molding. Also side window seals (center side or rear side, no groove for molding trim.) All are $39.95 each, which is less than half price. This price will not be repeated when they are gone.

HUBCAPS I have the plastic wheel covers for both earlier and later Vanagons for $45.95 each. The earlier ones are the "fake mag" looking ones, with the VW emblem and fake lug nuts. They look the same as the ones sold here, except that the fake lug nuts & VW emblem are black, which looks much sharper than all-silver as sold here. The later style is the "flat disk" type with Volkswagen written on them and little veins or spokes around the outside. Both sell for about $90 each (!!!) at the dealer. Of course, either can be used on any Vanagon.

SIDE WINDOW SCREENS These are the original Westfalia screens for the sliding windows on all Vanagon Westfalias. (Will not work on non-Westies; different window.) These crack all the time, but at the dealer they are uneconomical to replace. I have them for $39.95 each (left or right); this price will not be repeated once they're gone.

FOG LIGHTS These are actually intended for Busses, but I thought I'd mention them here since they can be used on anything. Still in the original Volkswagen boxes; lenses bear the Hella logo. Were optional on '68-79 busses in Europe. Mount above or below the front bumper. About 6"x 3". Dash switch not included (any toggle switch would do). Only 6 pair. $99.95/pr.

DUAL BATTERY KIT This is a genuine Hella relay kit designed for adding a second (auxilliary or camping) battery to a VW bus or camper. It's nothing fancy, but a simple and inexpensive way to wire a second battery. Basically, it separates the two batteries when the ignition is off (to prevent your starting battery from draining if you run your aux battery down) and automatically connects them when you start the bus so both can charge when you drive. Includes the relay with integrated replaceable blade fuse and socket, wiring, and instructions. $18.95.

DOOR HANDLES I got a small quantity of '80-84 sliding door handles for $49.95. These are the ones that are so expensive at the dealer. Also a few complete '85-91 handle/lock sets, including all exterior handles and locks on the van (except gas cap), all keyed alike, $89.95 complete.

TRAILER HITCHES I got my last shot of the genuine VW/South Africa trailer hitches for quite a while. These have received coverage on the list. They replace your stock bumper mounts and mount inside the frame under the van, extremely heavy duty and bullet-proof, with 2" ball. $179.95.

CV JOINT/BOOT KITS I got a very good deal on genuine Lobro (original-equipment VW) kits. These include everything: joint, boot, grease, and hardware. You need 4 kits per bus if you're replacing all of them. Fit '68-79. Price is $49.95 per kit, which is about what the joint alone normally goes for. I also have the boot kit only (boot, grease, hardware) for $9.95 each, also genuine Lobro.

LENSES & SOCKETS I have replacement German tail lenses for $45.95 each. This is half the going rate for the lense alone. As a bonus (sort-of), these include the complete bulb housing and bulbs as well, but since they are for overseas use the bulb configuration is slightly different. (The lenses are pretty much the same.) The difference in the housing is that instead of the tail light socket being toward the inside, it is directly below reverse light. The bulb socket that a US spec housing would use is present on the housing, but it lacks an electrical connection to it, so you'd have to run a jumper wire to it if you wanted to keep the lighting "US spec". Otherwise just use it as-is if you dare, or toss out the housing and you got a great deal on the lenses anyway. (Sorry, these do not have the reverse fog lights once mentioned on the list.)

I also got front turn signal assembles; the complete assembly, bulb socket and all. Price is $24.95. Normally about twice as much. The bulb socket alone is also available, for $7.95.

Finally, side marker lenses for $8.95 each. Bulb housings for these are $22.95, which is about $10 off.

REAR BRAKE/WHEEL ASSEMBLIES If I had both sides, these would be worth a fortune. This is the whole rear brake backing plate, with wheel cylinder, hardware, handbrake cable, and shoes all installed. Bad news is, I have left sides only. (Right side shoes would be mirror-image of left.) But for $34.95, they're less than a genuine VW wheel cylinder and handbrake cable are worth, so all of the other parts are freebies.

MUD FLAPS I got just 6 more sets of the South African genuine VW mudflaps that were so popular on the list before. Look similar to the ones sold in the U.S. but more of a plastic rather than rubber material. Meant to clamp on (one bolt required on fronts), although when I put them on my van I opted to bolt them on anyway for a more secure fit. $89.95 for the set of four. I also have one pair of genuine VW US-spec rubber rear mudflaps. Not going to bother to put them on the website since I only have one pair, but they're $99.95 for the pair to the first list member who responds. This is half price.

WINDOW REGULATORS I got some drivers side window regulators (the part that raises and lowers the drivers door window), genuine VW, for $44.95. These are not for power windows.

MUFFLER STRAPS I got a small quantity of '83-85 muffler straps for $33.95 (still too much, but better than the $50 dealer price), and '86-91 for $16.95.

IGNITION COILS Original VW/Germany (Bosch) black ignition coils, stock on all 1984 Vanagons and '79-83 California only. Orig dealer cost $60. $24.95.

PETER RUSSEK POCKET MECHANIC MANUALS I now have a version for Eurovans, for $24.95 (as opposed to the Bentley, which is of course encylopedia sized but $100 more!) (Anyone want to pass this info on to the Eurovan list for me?) Also have more of the watercooled Vanagon and Vanagon Diesel ones for $16.95. These manuals from the UK are user-friendly and designed for the backyard mechanic rather than the professional shop.

ETC. Shift boots (the boot around your shift lever), black, $11.95. Idle Stabilizer, 83-85 vanagon, $19.95 Syncro rotors, 4 pair still left at $39.95 ea Water pumps, 2.1L, European made, $39.95 Wheel Cylinders, European made, $9.95

FREE JUST KAMPERS CATALOGS As some of you know, I have been combining buying power with Just Kampers in the U.K. in order to bring you better pricing on certain bus parts. They print a nice glossy catalog in England, which I now have some copies of. Some of the items I sell much cheaper anyway, but others are not currently available in the U.S. I can get you anything in the catalog, although some of them may take a few months depending on availability. Pricing will vary, as catalog pricing is in Pounds Sterling (multiply by 1.66 to get a rough idea, although as I said I do already sell many items cheaper anyway). While they last, a copy if free for the asking with a $50 order (you must ask in the comments section of the order form if ordering via the website). Sorry, but I can't send one without an order, since I just don't have the extra manpower to afford to take them away from filling orders and ask them to address and mail dozens of catalogs.

Well, that's it. Whew!! Sorry it was such a long post, but hopefully it was worth the reading.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. http://www.busdepot.com