Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:37:31 -0400
From:         Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE>
Subject:      Re: Towing Hitch Solution!!! (LONG)

Hi,

I too would like to share my positive impression of Dennis' hitch. I waited 6 months to save up the money and then for Dennis to make a production run. It was worth the wait -- including the 15 minutes that it took me to unpack it from the fanatical packing job! I have a 90 Carat with the plastic bumpers, so cutting the small slots with a cutting wheel on my drill was very easy. I am slower, so I took more than an hour to get the bumper lined up on the hitch. (The instructions for the plastic-bumper version have you mount the bumper to the hitch first, then put it on the van.) You have to follow the directions carefully about lining up the bumper on the hitch -- and I got it pretty good but not perfect. (I recommend a pair of sawhorses to work on.) I am still thrilled with the way this bumper looks and performs. It also appears to protect my muffler, too! The 2 inch box is really 2.25 inch, for tolerance I guess. Therefore, there is a little "rattle" unless you want to put 20 coats of spray paint on you drawbar.

Another happy customer, Michael Townsend

-----Original Message----- From: Steven Shane <s.shane@POBOX.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, October 07, 1999 1:24 PM Subject: Towing Hitch Solution!!! (LONG)

>Greetings Volks, A few weeks back I ordered one of Dennis Haynes' >(dhaynes57@email.msn.com) towing hitches for my 87 Westy. For those of you >whom are interested, I would like to share my experience.

snip>> >After chatting with Dennis, I ordered one up and in about two weeks it >arrived. Dennis did a fantastic job packing it, (I mean it was borderline >fanatical!) and even though it was delivered through the mail, it had not a >single scratch. (GREAT FIRST IMPRESSION) This sucker was a brick! It was >heavy, solid and very well made, and even came with a flat black finish that >makes the hitch almost invisible on the Van. > >Installation was simple and other than a few slots that need to be cut in >the bumper (if you want to reinstall it after installing the hitch) nothing >required any fancy tools or fancy brains. You literally just unbolt the tow >hooks, slide the hitch in and bolt it into place. It took my sorry ass >about an hour to do. (and I'm slow) The bumper on the other hand may take a >little longer, but I want to make sure it is done right since removing two >small portions are in order.