Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Oct 1999 07:38:17 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      LONG, Hot shower (in a vanagon) was: Hygene alternative,
              was: Showers Redux

Since the shower thread comes up every year or so, here is a replay of a post Blue Eye made last November that seemed to be the best idea yet...

G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Blue Eyes [SMTP:lvlearn@MCI2000.com] Sent: Thursday, November 12, 1998 4:00 PM To: Bulley-Hewlett & Associates Subject: Re: Hygene alternative, was: Showers Redux

It's been a couple years since I posted about my LHS (Long Hot Shower) design. Only one exists, and that's my working prototype. I used a lot of off-the-shelf parts in creating it, and modified them. The base is the bottom 4 inches of a square cast plastic laundry tub which I recall to be 32 inches square. It tapers out slightly as it goes up, so the cut base fits inside the top which allowed me to epoxy join them perfectly to raise the base for plumbing and pump installation. The four corner verticals are aluminum tubes that allow one end to slide into the next, so they store in the Westy closet nicely. At the top, 4 3-way tees join the verticals with 4 horizontal top tubes, which creates the shower curtain support. Opaque shower curtains are preferred. All the 2-piece verticals are secured by holes cut into the base. Inside the base is velcro which secures to velcro on the outside of the shower curtain, so there is no leaking nor chance for blowing. Water from the bottom center drain is captured into my plumbing night mare sump, which got to be a messy design. At the rear is a 12 volt, high volume, vertical shaft, bottom scavenging water pump (fishing supplies department) which drives the captured water through tubing to a "cold plate" heat exchanger which is secured above one of the 5,200 btu Westy stove burners. From there, the water flows to the shower head. You can shower with one gallon of recirculating hot water for half an hour if you like! It was necessary to find a low sudsing cleanser, which one of the other List subscribers suggested. It occurs to me that you may not recognize the "cold plate" term. They are ordinarily covered with ice to cool pop in point of sale operations. Most bars with ice bins have them, and they are very efficient heat exchangers. I paralled several "circuits" in one cold plate to reduce flow restriction and it works fine. I'm in Iowa right now, and it's at my place in Florida, so I'm just going by memory, but with the normal ego of a creator, I believe my design is leagues better than any other I've heard described. The reason for the bottom being a plumbing nightmare is that it preheats about a quart of uncirculated water for use as the final clear rinse. That final innovation, with valving requirements was the most difficult design objective. I've thought of trying to get this base design duplicated by an injection molding producer and sell them through Camping World or vendors like that. To me, any RV shower for light vehicles which fails to recirculate and heat the water is a bad joke. To the best of my knowledge, mine is the only design that does it, and it does it well. To control water temp, just reach out and adjust the burner control. Do you think there's a market for this kind of shower? When not in use, the base can stand on edge behind the Westy rear seat. Everything else stores in the Westy closet. I'd say assembly for family use takes about 5 minutes, and you feel wonderful when you're done. Just like at a motel. No more sponge baths for me. I generally take at least 20 minute long showers because I was given incredibly oily skin which responds best to, , , , you guessed it, Long Hot Showers. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> John