Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:25:30 -0700
From:         Jim Snyder <jsnyder@DAVIS.COM>
Subject:      moving from California to Virginia

Hi Folks

Due to lack of free time, it has been awhile since I posted to this list. I recently re-subscribed to catch up on what has been going on in addition to needed some advice on an upcoming move to Virginia.

I joined the list last February when I bought my '82 Vanagon diesel which I am happy to report has seen about 10,000 trouble free miles since. I have been working on a few items and have the van in very good running condition. I have installed a new exhaust, water pump, oil filler tube, and new tires and shocks. I average about 4-500 miles per week and have been getting about 28-30 mpg. The odometer is now showing 120,000 original miles.

I recently was selected for another position for the USDA in Virginia after spending the last 4 years in the Sacramento area. My plans are to drive the Vanagon to Woodstock, Virginia leaving on Oct 30 and averaging about 4-500 miles per day. I have a couple questions before I leave. They are:

I am missing the clamp on the inside of the cv joint on the driver's side boot nearest the transmission. This was discovered when at the VW dealer's for service replacing the transmission oil. Is this an easy fix? The dealer wants $25 for a new boot and $100 for labor. Can I substitute another universal clamp or go with the dealer repair? There is no noise coming from the cv joint and the boot is still in great shape.

Next, how big is my fuel tank? I do not have an owners manual.

Also, has anyone made this journey form CA to VA? What is the best route? My choices are I-80, I-70, or I-40. Depending on the weather, I would like to take the shortest and least steep route. I only have 7 days to get there and have estimated 2700-3000 miles.

Many thanks in advance. This list has been great!

Jim Snyder jsnyder@davis.com