Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:54:16 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: moving from California to Virginia
Comments: To: Jim Snyder <jsnyder@DAVIS.COM>

Jim-

There is NO clamp on the CV in the position you describe. Maybe I am misunderstanding where you are describing, but the CV boot bolts up to the CV on the inside edge, and has a compression clamp on the 'half-shaft' end. There is no need to replace the boot, unless it is damaged. Temporarily, you can use a Scotch-Loc(r) cable tie on the half-shaft end, but replace it in the near future with a stock clamp. A regular hose clamp puts too much weight on one side of the half axle, don't use one.

If your tank is the same as the gas 1982 (and I can't imagine why it wouldn't be), it is 16 gallons. You will show reserve at about 14.4 gallons.

I've made the cross-country trek at least a dozen times. Unless you need 16 hours of sleep each night, 7 days is enough time to go to one side of the country, turn around, and come back. Even at 55 mph, you are still only travelling 8.5 hours per day...what are you going to do in the rest of the time? If this isn't a sight-seeing trip, I'd set my sights on rolling for 12-14 per day, leaving you enough time to make up for break-downs, helping strangers, gambling away your relocation money in Vegas, falling in with the wrong crowd, getting a tattoo, running from "the man", making bail, and filling out post cards so the folks back home know you are alright.

While it has got to be the most boring road in the world, I-40 is a straight, safe, level, fast trek across the USA. There are a couple areas while the incline will put you in third, most of it is a smooth haul. Although it is doubtful you would run into any weather on 70 or 80, this time of year can be unpredictable. Stick with 40, and you will be okay.

It sounds like you are a little tense about this whole cross-country thing. From the vehicular standpoint, you are putting LESS stress on your van on a cross country trip than you would be in a month of commuting in most metropolitan areas. Consider the number of times you brake, hit potholes, turn the steering, shift the gears, use the shocks, and accelerate the weight of your van from a dead stop during your daily grind. Then think about a twelve hour day at a constant speed, going straight, rarely braking, keeping all the motor parts at a constant temperature. Your van LOVES the road, and despises the city. Take it easy on your revs (since it's a diesel) at your will be a-okay.

And don't forget to write.

G. Matthew Bulley Director Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Snyder [SMTP:jsnyder@DAVIS.COM] Sent: Monday, October 11, 1999 12:26 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: moving from California to Virginia

Hi Folks

Due to lack of free time, it has been awhile since I posted to this list. I recently re-subscribed to catch up on what has been going on in addition to needed some advice on an upcoming move to Virginia.

I joined the list last February when I bought my '82 Vanagon diesel which I am happy to report has seen about 10,000 trouble free miles since. I have been working on a few items and have the van in very good running condition. I have installed a new exhaust, water pump, oil filler tube, and new tires and shocks. I average about 4-500 miles per week and have been getting about 28-30 mpg. The odometer is now showing 120,000 original miles.

I recently was selected for another position for the USDA in Virginia after spending the last 4 years in the Sacramento area. My plans are to drive the Vanagon to Woodstock, Virginia leaving on Oct 30 and averaging about 4-500 miles per day. I have a couple questions before I leave. They are:

I am missing the clamp on the inside of the cv joint on the driver's side boot nearest the transmission. This was discovered when at the VW dealer's for service replacing the transmission oil. Is this an easy fix? The dealer wants $25 for a new boot and $100 for labor. Can I substitute another universal clamp or go with the dealer repair? There is no noise coming from the cv joint and the boot is still in great shape.

Next, how big is my fuel tank? I do not have an owners manual.

Also, has anyone made this journey form CA to VA? What is the best route? My choices are I-80, I-70, or I-40. Depending on the weather, I would like to take the shortest and least steep route. I only have 7 days to get there and have estimated 2700-3000 miles.

Many thanks in advance. This list has been great!

Jim Snyder jsnyder@davis.com