Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:45:40 -0700
From:         walt spak <wnsopc3@3RDM.NET>
Subject:      Re: Making a Bed--any advise?
Comments: To: Dldemarest@AOL.COM

Doug,

I hope I can explain this reasonably well. I put a 2" X 6" on edge across the front of the engine compartment. I screwed a 2 x 4 to the top edge giving me a 4" top edge (all dimensions nominal). I cut a 2" X 4" section out of the top edge of 3 more pieces of 2 X 6 and screwed them to the front piece. They extended backwards across the engine cover, one on each side and one in the middle.

I covered this with plywood, just over the 2 x 4 on the front piece which left the front 2 X 6 exposed. Now the engine area is covered, but you can access the area below the plywood from the rear tail gate. Just the right size for a Coleman stove among other things.

Next, I made a 2 x 4 rectangular frame with a center support post that stood near the rear of the center seat area and extended from one side of the bus to the other. I then cut 2 pieces of plywood that extended from the engine compartment front 2 X 6 to the rectangular frame. I then drilled both the plywood and the 2 x 6, and the 2 X 4 frame and inserted 3/4" dowel rod and cut it off flush with the top of the plywood.

This allowed me to pull off the 2 front pieces of plywood and lift up the frame to break the bed down and have storage space available. I even moved the center seat forward and rebolted it so my (then) young kids could sit in it. I left the rear seat in and folded it down. I ended up with a lot of storage space in the rear seat foot well, under the bed.

I used 3/4" plywood, but I think that was overkill and that it added too much weight. I used a queen size inflatable mattress.

In the end, I believe a better solution is to install a "Weekender" interior, but that will involve a little welding if your bus did not have that option from new.

Walt Spak Pittsburgh, Pa. wnsopc3@3rdm.net ----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Demarest <Dldemarest@AOL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, October 11, 1999 12:56 PM Subject: Making a Bed--any advise?