Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:46:55 -0400
From:         Marc Theune <mtheune@EMORY.EDU>
Subject:      Tail Light Problem--85 Vanagon

Hi,

I just learned that the driver's side tail light, brake light, and running light on my 85 Vanagon are not working. Switching fuses and bulbs from the good side told me that neither of these things were bad. All fuses and bulbs worked fine on the passenger side, just not on the driver's side. Both turn signals work fine though, as well as all lights up front.

I went thru the archives and found some references to dirty ground wires as the possible culprit. I searched all over the van for grounds and cleaned all I could find with sand paper. These included the ground cluster under the coil and the cluster on the engine's left side. I found another ground under the van near the sliding door but couldn't get it off. It's from the coil-looking object that's mounted under there (what is that thing anyway?) which is grounded to the frame.

I also found a bunch of grounds above the fuses under the dash. Two star cluster gizmos that have 10 or so wires attached via clip-on terminators. All of these connections looked very clean and I just made sure they were tight. I know one of these grounds connected to the headlights, cuz they wouldn't work when it was disconnected.

None of the grounds I found seemed to affect the tail lights, though. The good side continued to work no matter which grounds were disconnected.

Is there another place I can look for the tail light ground? Is something else the problem? I'm getting a little desperate as we're getting ready to go camping this weekend. I've done so much recently to prepare for the trip -- clutch slave, shifter rebuild, heater fix, new tires, parking brake, etc. -- and now this little glitch is getting the best of me.

Looking for enlightenment,

Marc 85 Vanagon Atlanta, GA