Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:51:24 -0500
From:         Bill Johnson <bjohns@DTX.NET>
Subject:      Re: First trip: HELP! Oil Pressure Light
Comments: To: "Alan J. Flint" <ajflint@ITSA.UCSF.EDU>

I had a '78 that did that for 40k miles. I think it may be a problem with oil pressure around the rods. I switched to a heavy oil and the lamp went out. I tried everything. That 10w-XX stuff was too light for my vehicle to build up pressure.

Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: Alan J. Flint <ajflint@ITSA.UCSF.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 1999 12:30 PM Subject: First trip: HELP! Oil Pressure Light

Dear Listers: My wife and I just returned from our first trip in our "new" 87 Syncro Westfalia. We were mostly in Acadia and other parts of Maine. It went rather well. One moose seemed particularly interested in checking out the van (up close). First off, I want to thank all of you (and earlier Type 2 drivers) for waving, flashing or beeping "hello" every time we crossed paths. My wife couldnt get over it. She drives a new Volvo. The only mechanical problem we had was the OIL PRESSURE warning light came on. This happened four times total and was always transient. I stopped immediately each time. Twice pulling over shut it off; twice it was off after restarting the van. It looked like I could add a quart of oil, so I did. The light still came on once more. The engine always sounded fine, never stalled or lost power. The engine did not overheat or even get warmer than usual. The light typically came on a few minutes into a drive, after a brief stop. After restart could drive 200 miles home without light coming on. Worried a lot. A little background: 79,000 miles, about 2,000 since purchase. Original oil pump, as far as I know. I used Mobil 1 (blue top grade) from the start, likely representing a switch from refined oil. OEM Mann filter. No warning lights for first 1,500 miles or so, until half way through this trip. The Haynes indicates that the oil pressure sender can be faulty and that measuring the pressure directly is indicated as a first step. John Muir discusses the "oil pressure popoff valve" (clean it) as well, but I dont know if that is applicable to this engine. Or does the type (synthetic) or grade of oil make me prone to this? Does the fact that it is extremely transient and intermittent help in the diagnosis? Unfortunately, this will also make it hard to determine if I have fixed it. Obviously, I want to exhaust all easier and less expensive possibilities before considering an new oil pump. Thank you in advance. If anyone would like to see this moose, she came to our campsite repeatedly. I will e-mail you the site number and youll probably see her there.

Alan. Shrewsbury. 87 Syncro Westfalia 81 Pickup 73 914