Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:26:57 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: My Eurospec conversion problem
Comments: To: SKP <skp@PACBELL.NET>

I do simular conversions with CIS, Digifant and Motronic. Here are my experiences

1 - I find this a problem with the Digifant systems. The computer wants to run the engine at 800rpm which is too low, especially if it is cold or the timing is slightly off.

2 - The is common with all 50 degree mounting angle conversions, there are some manifolds out there that are better than others for clearance.

3 - I have never had this problem. It is true that the 2.0L engines have far more compression than the boxers (190PSI isn't uncommon) but the factory starter never seems to have a problem with any of the conversions that I have done.

4 - This buzzyness is a function of the exhaust system. I find the more things that are attached to the pipe (cat, muffler etc) the worse it gets. Make sure there are a very GOOD bnracket between the engine and the exhaust system that allows for ZERO movement.

At 04:16 PM 14/10/1999 -0700, SKP wrote: >This is amazing. I just signed on this list and you are all discussing the >Eurospec conversion. >I had the conversion done last weekend. It's amazing the drivability >difference. I dare say it drives better than new. > >I have had four minor problems. > >1)The idle would sometimes drop and die when I stopped. > This has been apparently fixed today by the folks > who did the conversion by tweaking some adjustments and switches. > >2) The intake manifold was hitting the frame when I decelerated and/or >turned right. > Apparently there are shims that can be placed at the motor mount to skooch >the > motor over a bit. Unfortunately Eurospec no longer distributes the >necessary shims > so they have to fabricate them from scratch. > >3) When hot, the motor cranks very slowly, like it has a dead battery. It's >very predictable. Once hot and I try to > restart, it slowly goes WHOP WHOP WHOP WHOP.... on occasion it will start >after the second WHOP > So I replaced the battery, it had no effect. > If I jump the battery it starts every time, it still cranks a bit slowly. >Of course when it's cold > or cooled down it cranks normally. interestingly enough, the stock motor >cranked just fine. > The guys who did the conversion claim the new motor is still very tight and >requires more current > which the second battery provides. > >4) There is a definite droning/buzzy noise between 3500 and 3900 RPM. I >called Eurospec on this and they > claimed this motor does create this harmonic vibration at that RPM range. I >have the same motor > in my Jetta and I do have a similar noise at roughly the same RPM. The >noise/vibration is hardly noticeable > in my Jetta, but in my Vanagon is very very noticeable and somewhat >annoying. Eurospec accounts for that > because they say the Jetta has hydraulic motor mounts which do not >transmit the vibration to the body like the > rubber mounts. > >Has anyone else had any similar experience with this droning resonance or >slow cranking? Any suggestions? The guy at Eurospec claims he heard one >person filled the two big black cross members with tranny oil which cut the >vibration in half. > >Thanks, >SKIP > >

-- David Marshall - - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 84 VW Westie, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 87 Audi 5000 Quattro, 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --