Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Oct 1999 22:44:28 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Removing 91 Volkswagen Vanagon, Heater, Heater blower motor
Comments: To: Temp_Vanagon <vanagon@onelist.com>

This has been sitting in my 'Drafts' folder for a couple of months. Really ought to be in the archives.

Jim Arnott List Administration Spare Vanagon

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1991 Volkswagen Vanagon 2.1 L

Trans: Automatic Mileage: 120,000 mi VIN: WV2ZB0256MG009522

Affected Item: Heater blower motor

I received 6 responses. Doing this job was like having a bunch of buddies with me in the car helping. Thanks so much! Here's how:

Remove steering wheel and steering column covers. Remove cover over instrument cluster. Pull off fan switch knob and heater control lever knobs (watch out for cover) Remove heater control cover. Disconnect and remove fan switch. Disconnect wiring from switches on either side of instrument cluster. Remove 4 screws that hold instrument cluster. Lift cluster, disconnect speedo cable and electrical connector on underside, then remove cluster. Pass switch wiring plugs through holes in dash. Remove breakaway bolts holding steering column to dash. Remove braces on either side of master cylinder. Unplug connector at rear heater control and pull out its bulb holder. Remove three screws holding heater control cluster to dashboard. Remove synchro control panel:

unscrew knob from spindle

Remove 4 screws holding cover on.

Remove 2 bracket to dash screws and 1 bracket to brace screw.

Lift bracket slightly and pull lower duct straight out. Let bracket drop down. Remove glove box. Remove defrost ducts from top of dashboard. Remove 2 screws on each door post and all screws at base of windshield. With assistant lift dashboard, disconnect air ducts, wiring to lighter, radio and map light, then remove dashboard. Release red/black wire from fan switch connector. Disconnect brown wire from ground block. Remove grille and two screws above radiator. Remove coolant hoses from heater core tubes. Disconnect three heater control cables from heater case control levers. Remove 4 screws holding heater case to car. Lift heater case out of car and place on work bench. Remove 2 screws on top of heater case. Using sharp knife cut through heat welded tabs around seam in heater case. Separate heater case halves, disconnect and lift out fan motor assembly. Install new fan motor assembly and test all 3 speeds. Assemble heater case halves with silicone sealer. Follow above instructions in reverse to reassemble. Time required - 3 to 4 hours