Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Oct 1999 18:46:03 +0000
From:         The Henrys <jch@VNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: TransX
Comments: To: Justin Gordon <jgordon@EXTENSITY.COM>

Justin, I believe that TransX is one of the truly sacred fluids on the planet. In my younger, much more impoverished days, I had a 1972 AMC Hornet station wagon that developed the same transmission misbehavior as your van at 55,000 miles. I took it to several transmission shops with each saying "rebuild, $250" (boy that dates this story). But one very kindly elderly fellow, who turned out the be Mike, the owner of Mike's Transmission Shop in Durham, said, "Try changing your filter and fluid and add a can of TransX, it can't hurt and they will give you your money back if it doesn' t work." I did, and I did it every 30,000 miles there after, and sold the car in 1985 with 186,000 miles on the same transmission.

I have been told that the solvent content in TransX cleans deposits of the valves that regulate the shift mechanism and cause the seals to swell slightly, thus increasing the fluid pressure. Otherwise it is magic, but it works.

So change your fluid and filter every 30,000 miles and add a can of TransX.

Best of Luck

Jim Henry Durham, NC 84 Westy