Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Oct 1999 22:46:25 -0400
From:         Jeffrey T Cross <jtcross@CDC.NET>
Subject:      Weird hesitation / power loss in '85

Vanagonians,

I am the proud new owner of an '85 Van (4speed) with only 225,000 on it - barely broken in! Actually, 60K on a rebuilt engine. It wasn't running too well when I got it, but I have a friend, Scott, who is my personal mechanic with an '84 of his own. The biggest problem turned out to be that I was running on 3/4 an engine (broken injector control wire) - I knew it would be slow, but NOT THAT SLOW! Anyway, that fixed, we figured everything would be great. Close, but not quite. Here's what I'm dealing with:

After starting cold or warm, it runs great for at least 10 minutes or so. After that point, there are three possible symptoms depending on what speed we're running. (1) At idle, the idle is rough. Holds 800 rpm+/-, but noticeably rough. (2) Around town, you just can't count on how far you'll have to push the accelerator to get what you want to happen to happen. At very low speed (<1800 rpm, i.e. pulling away from a stop) it might have NO power, requiring clutching up to 2500 or so in order to get going. Cruising at 35-40 mph, it feels like someone is behind alternately giving you a push or grabbing your bumper and pulling. Varies between annoying and dangerous depending on the situation. (3) At highway speeds, 3500+ rpm, you can still feel the occasional hesitation but it's not usually a problem due to inertia. BUT, sometimes it gets to an extreme case that seems quite strange: with the pedal all the way down, the van starts losing speed as if the engine is losing power altogether, and perhaps in a way it is!

The strangest thing to me is my workaround for the problem: all I have to do is turn the engine off and back on! It always starts right back up, and with no waiting period, we're in good shape for at least another 15 minutes, often longer at this point. That's right: (1) smooth idle, (2) smooth acceleration, (3) 70-75 on the highway with no problem. Am I "rebooting" my van? I'm a software guy, so maybe this shouldn't surprise me...

More details: -- The problem is most likely to begin AFTER coasting down a hill in 3rd. -- While the problem is occuring, it generally responds to having the accelerator pushed all the way. For example, you're trying to accelerate and push the gas down halfway. Nothing really happens - just no response at all. Keep pushing, keep pushing, keep pushing, and when it's pretty much all the way down, YOW! Full steam ahead! -- Before the 3-cylinder problem was found, Scott did adjust the timing (in spite of it "not needing adjustment") as a troubleshooting measure. It made things worse, and he put it back. -- We replaced the O2 sensor. No help. -- I've been using 93 octane gas. -- California emissions. -- Fuel mixture has been adjusted. -- Idle control valve replaced.

The hesitation seems not to be the lurching I'd associate with missing, i.e. an ignition problem, so it seems to me (a non-mechanic, but mechanically inclined) that it must be a fuel delivery problem, or maybe timing. Could some type of grounding problem be causing static in a sensor or chip somewhere and freaking out the injection system?

I'm not terribly worried - it doesn't seem like anything could be TOO wrong, and I can have Scott look at it again. However, if anyone has any really specific suggestions, my wife is out of town with it for the week and I would kind of like for it to be working better for her coming home.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

JC