Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Oct 1999 19:56:16 -0700
From:         Ken Wyatt <kokopellis@ATT.NET>
Subject:      Wiring questions for tach/dash pod from 88-89 into 82 aircooled
              [LONG]

Hi Vanagonauts,

I recently acquired a dash from a 1988-89 vanagon. It has the digital clock and tach. I am using my old speedo into this cluster. The wiring is causing me a little frustration. I almost have it figured out but I was hoping one of the lists electrical gurus could help.

I know you have to dissect the 14 pin connector and rearrange the wires. I have done some of this but am wondering what to do with a couple of them. I looked at the Limbo article for putting a 86 tach into the 81 using a Porsche oil temp sensor to run the oil temp warning buzzer. I have a VDO oil temp sensor already in place. I am hoping to use this setup without buying a new Porsche sensor but am unsure of its compatibility. (anyone know if this will work? The article described the 81 to 86 wiring switches. The new 88/89 dash has each pin described written in German.

Below is a table of the 14 pin wiring connector to the dash. The three columns are: 1: 88/89: my new dash w/ tach 14 pin connector 2: 82: my current 1982 westy 14 pin wiring configuration (air-cooled.) 3: 86: wiring as per the LIMBO tach retro rewiring article

YEAR 88/89 82 86 1 Inst. lights Vacant Inst.lights 2 FERNLICHT Ground High Beam 3 ALLGEM. - Inst. lights Ground 4 FREI(KL.1) High Beam lights vacant 5 UHR Ground Clock 6 Oil Temp New Oil Temp New Oil Temp 7 Gas tank Clock Gas Tank 8 ALLGEM + Gas Tank Positive 9 KL.1 Positive Tach 10 BLINKERKONTR Oil Press. Ind. Turn Signal 11 LADEKONTR OXS Alt Warn light 12 1.8 bar Oil press. Vacant Ground 13 0.3 bar oil press. Alt. Warn light Oil Press. ind. 14 Diesel/OXS/CAT Turn Signal Turn Signal

The names on the new cluster are in German. I can figure some of them out. The AltaVista tranlator helped 0 (zero). I am hoping someone can clarify the German terminology for me. I put my guess after the word. #2: FERNLICHT (High Beam?) #3: -ALLGEM. (Ground) #4: FREI(KL.1) (I have know idea, coolant temp maybe?) #5: UHR (Clock) #8: +ALLGEM (positive source) #9: KL.l (Tach wire from Coil??) #10: BLINKERKONTR (obviously turn signal) #11: LADEKONTR (Alternator warning??)

Based on the above differences between the 82 and the 88/89 I rewired my 14 pin connector as follows: 82 wires 88/89 wires #2 ground to #3 -ALLGEM. #3 instr. lights to #1 INSTR. BEL. #4 high beam to #2 FERNLICHT #5 ground NOT SURE WHAT TO DO, maybe splice into #2 or ground #12 #6 ADD #6 Oil temp wire spliced from VDO sensor. #7 Clock to #5 UHR #8 Gas Tank to #7 TANK #9 Positive to #8 +ALLGEM. #10 Oil Press Ind to #13 0.3 bar Oil Pressure #11 OXS to #14 DIESEL/OXS/CAT #12 Vacant NOT SURE WHAT TO DO, I have no 1.8 oil pressure wire. #13 Alt. Warn Light to #11 LADEKONTR #14 Turn Signal to #10 BLINKERKONTR New wire from Coil to #9 KL.l for Tach

My questions: Anyone see anything obviously wrong or know if I'm missing something?

Does the coil terminal #1 wire go to #9 (KL.1)?

What to do you with Ground wire #5?

What to do with terminal 12 for the 1.8 bar Oil pressure? Leave it vacant, ground it, or add a wire from somewhere else like the VDO O.P. sender or the oil pressure light switch from dash?

Thanks for your help. This will help others also as there were a lot of the dash pods available in the last two weeks.

Ken Wyatt 82 westy SLC, UT